June 18, 2018: Executive Vice President Named
Dear Faculty and Staff,
Following a thorough search for, and vetting of, qualified candidates for Executive Vice President, which included significant participation by faculty and staff in three recent campus forums, I am pleased to announce that Jan Madsen has accepted my offer to fill the newly titled role.
Jan returns to Creighton after three and a half years as chief financial officer and treasurer for Omaha-based West Corporation. From 2010 to 2014, she served as Creighton’s vice president of finance, managing the complexities of the University’s budget and regularly interacting with members of the Board of Trustees, deans, and many others.
In the University’s third highest-ranking position, I will rely on Jan and her knowledge of the institution to provide me and Provost Tom Murray with information that will help us make sound decisions and track outcomes as we continue to implement the new strategic plan. There is much work to be done, and I am looking forward to drawing on her considerable financial acumen as we move forward.
Jan is well aware of the noteworthy advances we have made recently and is eager to continue the momentum by embracing all that has been accomplished on campus and beyond. Her division, which includes Continuous Improvement, Facilities, Finance, Human Resources, Internal Audit, Public Safety, and University Communications and Marketing, plays an integral role in supporting the University and touches many elements of the strategic plan.
Jan will officially join the University on Aug. 6. In the meantime, and following Dan Burkey’s retirement on June 30, the following reporting lines will be shifted for the month of July and first few days of August:
- President: Finance, Human Resources, and University Communications and Marketing
- Dr. Tanya Winegard, vice provost of Student Life: Facilities and Public Safety
- Janel Allen, associate vice president, Human Resources: Continuous Improvement
- Jim Jansen, general counsel: Internal Audit
I would like to thank Dr. Winegard and all members of the search committee listed below for their diligence over the past few months as we proceeded thoughtfully through the national search, candidate screening, and subsequent interviews.
- Tanya Winegard, PhD, vice provost for Student Life – committee chair
- Gary Witt, member, Creighton University Board of Trustees
- Tom Murray, PhD, provost
- Jim Jansen, JD, general counsel
- Robert “Bo” Dunlay, MD, dean, School of Medicine
- Gail Jensen, PhD, dean, Graduate School and College of Professional Studies
- The Rev. Jim Clifton, SJ, associate dean for Mission, Identity and Diversity, School of Medicine
- Janel Allen, associate vice president for Human Resources
- John Darwin, special assistant to the president – staffing
- Charles Braymen, PhD, associate professor, Heider College of Business
- Anne Ozar, PhD, associate professor, College of Arts and Sciences
- Sheri Bacon, senior buyer, Strategic Sourcing
- Shavonne Washington-Krauth, program manager, School of Medicine
- Patrick Marta, College of Arts and Sciences; Creighton Students Union president
Jan and her husband, Dave, who is the director of finance in the School of Law, have two children. Their daughter, Paige, earned her undergraduate degree from Creighton in May and is currently enrolled in the Doctor of Physical Therapy program. Their son, Drew, works at KPMG in its Omaha office and spent a summer interning in Creighton’s Business Service Center. Together, Jan and Dave are involved in the Omaha community through their current work with Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Midlands. Previously, Jan also served on the Boys Town National Board of Trustees.
Please help me in welcoming Jan back to Creighton and wishing her the best in this pivotal role.
Rev. Daniel S. Hendrickson, SJ, PhD