Emergency Medical Services (MSEMS)
Become a leader in EMS.
Gain the knowledge and skills you need to become an effective leader in EMS with Creighton’s Master of Science in Emergency Medical Services.
Creighton University has been educating medical professionals for over a century and has been a leader in EMS education for more than 40 years. The field of EMS is constantly growing and changing – leaders and educators with strong experience are needed more than ever to help shape the future of the industry.
Ideal students for this program are EMS and healthcare professionals with at least three years of experience in EMS. This program will prepare you for leadership roles requiring administration, education and training, planning, and research and development.
Creighton’s master’s in emergency medical services can be completed fully online in as little as two years. We understand that graduate school is a huge time commitment – this program is carefully designed to fit into your busy schedule so you can continue to tend to the things that are important to you.
Gain cutting edge knowledge from accomplished faculty.
Creighton’s master’s in EMS curriculum focuses on current trends in the field – teaching you the technical skills and practical knowledge you need to set yourself apart and succeed in EMS as a leader. You’ll study various areas applicable to EMS leadership, including organizational development and change, finance, quality management, research, ethics, human resources and more.
Our EMS department boasts several accomplished faculty members who are national and international leaders in the field.
Set yourself up for a successful career.
Employment of emergency medical technicians and paramedics is projected to grow 24 percent by 2024, much faster than average for all occupations. While EMTs and paramedics have been, and will continue to be, the backbone of our nation’s 911 rescue system, many exciting new opportunities exist for career growth. Recognized experts are sorely needed across the nation, especially in the following areas:
- EMS service providers
- EMS education
- Emergency preparedness
- Community health training
- Public health initiatives
- Humanitarian assistance
- Injury and illness prevention
- Primary and community-based care
- Emergency department care
- Critical care transportation
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, October 2017
Creighton’s Master of Science in Emergency Medical Services consists of 36 credit hours. Coursework includes:
Core Courses (21 credit hours):
- EMS Leadership
- Organizational Development and Organizational Change
- Clinical Practice and Quality Assurance
- Ethics in EMS
- Human Resource Management in Healthcare
- EMS Law, Regulation and Risk Management
- EMS Research: An Introduction to Study Design and Research Methods
Electives (12 credit hours):
- EMS Financial Management
- Education for EMS Professionals
- Practicum in EMS Leadership
- Independent Study
Capstone Project (3 credit hours)
Other courses may be developed and students are welcome to take courses in other programs that may be of interest, such as the Negotiation and Conflict Resolution or Master of Public Health programs. Other graduate level coursework (up to 6 hours) may also be accepted as transfer credit toward elective credit hours.
Creighton University has maintained continuous accreditation with the Higher Learning Commission since 1928. For information regarding the University’s accreditation status, visit http://www.creighton.edu/accreditation/.
Creighton University’s Master of Science in Emergency Medical Services program also holds accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). Additional information regarding academic programs which hold specialized accreditation can be found on this page.
- Completed application & $50 application fee
- Bachelor’s degree in related field with 3.0 GPA or higher
- Must include at least three years of experience in EMS or a related field
- Official transcripts from all educational institutions attended
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Personal statement. See application for specific requirements
- Three letters of recommendation from persons other than friends or family members who can speak to your performance in an academic or professional setting
A personal interview or standardized test score may be requested in addition to the above requirements. The interview may be conducted in-person or virtually.
- International applicants must meet English language proficiency requirements.
To help make your graduate studies at Creighton University more affordable, we encourage you to apply for financial assistance, as well as for graduate student scholarships and fellowships. Here’s how to apply for financial assistance.
- Step 1: File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Step 2: We’ll contact you if verification is required
- Step 3: You’ll receive a financial aid award notification
- Step 4: Accept your aid offer
For questions about financial aid, contact:
gpfinaid [at] creighton [dot] edu
View also the federal gainful employment disclosure.
|Start Classes in||Apply By|
Creighton University, EMS Education program, conducts EMS courses with curricula based on the current United States Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, National EMS Education Standards and Guidelines. Learn more.