Exercise Science (Bachelor of Science)
Do the intricacies of the human body and the effects of exercise fascinate you? Are health and wellness important to you? If so, consider Creighton’s exercise science program. The Bachelor of Science (BS) in exercise science and pre-health professions prepares you to work in a variety of roles, including strength and conditioning specialists, personal trainers and fitness experts.
Or, perhaps you have your sights set on an advanced degree. In which case, with a bachelor’s in exercise science, you could go on to study physical therapy, occupational therapy, cardiac rehabilitation, dentistry, pharmacy or nursing.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for exercise physiologists is $44,770 and employment of athletic trainers and exercise physiologists is projected to grow 19% by 2022, faster than the average for all occupations.
Approximately 80% of Creighton’s exercise science majors go on to graduate and professional schools, including:
- Creighton University School of Pharmacy and Health Professions
- Creighton University School of Dentistry
- University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Medicine
- Palmer College of Chiropractic
- Virginia Tech sports management
- George Washington University master’s in public health
- Cal State Long Beach master’s in nutrition
- University of Iowa School of Dentistry
- Duke University
- Loma Linda School of Allied Health Professions
- Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
They have also found jobs in such great places as:
- Prairie Life Fitness
- Alegent Creighton Health
- ConAgra Foods
- Live Well Omaha
Some careers for exercise science majors require advanced degrees or certifications, and Creighton provides rigorous preparation.
- All of the ways exercise affects the human body
- How to apply the most current research
- Gain the foundation of knowledge you need to prepare for success in an advanced health professional degree program
- Exercise Science - Excellence in Leadership (EXSEL)
If you’re in exercise science, you’ll want to get involved with EXSEL. You’ll enjoy educational speakers and philanthropic events such as the American Heart Walk, plus social and networking events to get to know your peers and faculty better, like an annual BBQ for students and faculty.
Exercise Science Internship Opportunities
You’ll have plenty of internships to choose from in physical therapy, occupational therapy, dentistry, medicine, fitness, athletic training, personal training, strength and conditioning, and more.
Recent Creighton students’ internships include:
- Nebraska Biomechanics Core Facility
- Stanford University School of Medicine Center for Disabilities
- University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Omaha Physical Therapy Institute
- Prairie Life Fitness
- CHI Health Creighton University Medical Center
- Alegent Creighton (CHI Health) Clinics
- Mayo Clinic Health System
- Victory Therapy Center
- Methodist Hospital
- Going Vertical
- Physiotherapy Associates
- Creighton University Department of Athletics athletic training
Students within the Department of Exercise Science have the opportunity to work closely with faculty on research and may design, conduct, analyze and present research. Current student research areas include nutrition, body composition, gastrointestinal function and hydration.
Students who wish to become exercise science majors must have an overall grade point average of 2.75 in 30 or more hours of coursework at Creighton University and have grades of “C” or better in General Chemistry (CHM 203/204 or 205/206) and General Biology (BIO 201/205 or 202/206)
Learn more about general Creighton University admissions requirements.