Ignatian Tradition (Graduate Certificate)
Learn to live out Ignatian values firsthand.
Immerse yourself in the core principles of a Jesuit education through Creighton University’s Graduate Certificate in Ignatian Tradition. This certificate program is ideal for those employed in a Jesuit institution such as a university, high school, or other organization.
You’ll take an in-depth look into the values on which St. Ignatius founded the order of the Society of Jesus. These values serve as the foundation of the mission of Creighton University.
Walk in the shoes of St. Ignatius.
There’s no better way to experience the benefits of the Ignatian values than to apply them to your life while walking in the shoes of St. Ignatius himself. Through the Ignatian Pilgrimage course, the final course in the program, you’ll travel to the Ignatian places in northern Spain, Paris, and Rome. While there, you’ll learn to incorporate the elements of personal prayer and self-reflection into your personal and professional life through the spiritual exercises of St. Ignatius.
To earn the Graduate Certificate in Ignatian Tradition at Creighton University, you must complete 9 credits:
- Theology of Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
- History of the Ignatian Tradition
- Ignatian Pilgrimage
Course details can be found in Creighton’s course catalog.
- Bachelor’s degree, regardless of field of study.
- Applicants must have at least a 3.0 GPA.
- Applicants must have 12 recent credits in undergraduate theology, including Old Testament, New Testament, Theological Ethics and Contemporary Christian Theology.
- Applicants must have at least two years of regular spiritual direction and must currently be receiving spiritual direction.
- Applicants must share the spiritual goals of the program.
- Completed application (requires non-refundable $50 fee).
- Three letters of recommendation, all of which must address the applicant’s life of faith and prayer, aptitude for ministry, and aptitude for graduate work.
- Short letter of introduction, explaining reasons for pursuing the certificate.
- International applicants must meet English language proficiency requirements
International applicants who are formally admitted must complete and submit a Certification of Available Finances Form through the Global Engagement Office
Standard graduate school tuition rates and fees apply. Students must also pay a travel fee, which includes flights, ground transportation to specific sites, rooms, and most meals (no tips included).
For questions about financial aid, contact:
gpfinaid [at] creighton [dot] edu
Program Start Date
Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction and Directed Retreats (18 credits)
- Ideal for someone with a strong background in theology, this graduate certificate helps students develop ministerial skills and attitudes. Several of the core courses of the Master of Arts in Christian Spirituality program are included as part of this program.
- Credits earned for this graduate certificate can be applied toward a Master of Arts in Christian Spirituality degree.
- Available on campus only.
- See a full course listing in the course catalog
A full listing of courses offered for the Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction and Directed Retreats can be found in the course catalog.
Master of Arts in Christian Spirituality (33 credits)
- The courses required for the Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction – Directed Retreats serve as the foundation for the Master of Arts in Christian Spirituality program. Enrich your understanding of Scripture, the Ignatian tradition, and the Christian faith through our Christian Spirituality master’s program.
- Available on campus only.
A full listing of courses offered for the Master of Arts in Christian Spirituality can be found in the course catalog.