Ignatian Tradition (Graduate Certificate)
Learn to live out Ignatian values firsthand.
Immerse yourself in the core principles of a Jesuit education through Creighton University’s Graduate Certificate in Ignatian Tradition. This certificate program is ideal for those employed in a Jesuit institution such as a university, high school, or other organization.
You’ll take an in-depth look into the values on which St. Ignatius founded the order of the Society of Jesus. These values serve as the foundation of the mission of Creighton University.
Walk in the shoes of St. Ignatius.
There’s no better way to experience the benefits of the Ignatian values than to apply them to your life while walking in the shoes of St. Ignatius himself. Through the Ignatian Pilgrimage course, the final course in the program, you’ll travel to the Ignatian places in northern Spain, Paris, and Rome. While there, you’ll learn to incorporate the elements of personal prayer and self-reflection into your personal and professional life through the spiritual exercises of St. Ignatius.
To earn the Graduate Certificate in Ignatian Tradition at Creighton University, you must complete 9 credits:
- Theology of Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
- History of the Ignatian Tradition
- Ignatian Pilgrimage
Course details can be found in Creighton’s course catalog.
Creighton University has maintained continuous accreditation with the Higher Learning Commission since 1928. For information regarding the University’s accreditation status, visit http://www.creighton.edu/accreditation/.
Information regarding academic programs which hold specialized accreditation can be found on this page.
- Completed application & $50 application fee
- Bachelor’s degree with 3.0 GPA or higher
- Must include 12 recent credits in undergraduate theology and at least two years of regular spiritual direction. Must currently be receiving regular spiritual direction and share the spiritual goals of the program
- Official transcripts from all educational institutions attended
- Personal statement. See application for specific requirements
- Three letters of recommendation from persons other than friends or family members who can speak to your life of faith and prayer, aptitude for ministry, and performance in an academic or professional setting
A personal interview may be requested in addition to the above requirements. The interview may be conducted in-person or virtually.
International applicants must meet English language proficiency requirements.
Standard graduate school tuition rates and fees apply. Students must also pay a travel fee, which includes flights, ground transportation to specific sites, rooms, and most meals (no tips included).
For questions about financial aid, contact:
gpfinaid [at] creighton [dot] edu
Program Start Date
Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction and Directed Retreats (18 credits)
- Ideal for someone with a strong background in theology, this graduate certificate helps students develop ministerial skills and attitudes. Several of the core courses of the Master of Arts in Christian Spirituality program are included as part of this program.
- Credits earned for this graduate certificate can be applied toward a Master of Arts in Christian Spirituality degree.
- Available on campus only.
- See a full course listing in the course catalog
A full listing of courses offered for the Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction and Directed Retreats can be found in the course catalog.
Master of Arts in Christian Spirituality (33 credits)
- The courses required for the Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction – Directed Retreats serve as the foundation for the Master of Arts in Christian Spirituality program. Enrich your understanding of Scripture, the Ignatian tradition, and the Christian faith through our Christian Spirituality master’s program.
- Available on campus only.
A full listing of courses offered for the Master of Arts in Christian Spirituality can be found in the course catalog.