Magis Catholic Teacher Corps (MS or MEd)
Complete a master’s degree while gaining practical experience in teaching through the Magis Catholic Teacher Corps. The program is dedicated to the formation of enthusiastic, faith-filled, and highly motivated teachers in direct service to Catholic elementary and secondary schools across the greater Midwest.
In function, Magis is a two-year experience built upon three pillars:
- Community: Teachers continue the sense of community fostered in college by living together on campus during the summer, and in communities of 3-8 people throughout the school year.
- Spirituality: Teachers are encouraged to grow in their faith, “finding God in all things” through the ongoing formation and practice of Ignatian Spirituality.
- Professionalism: While teaching for two years in Catholic schools, teachers are required to develop as professional educators by completing a rigorous Master’s degree in Education, Educational Leadership or School Counseling. The three pillars act as the guiding foundation for the formation of our teachers in the Ignatian tradition.
Education for transformation is to form men and women for and with others, developing the God-given talents of each individual so as to live lives of integrity, with religious faith, and respect for all creation.
A Magis graduate will:
- Seek God in All Things
- Practice Discernment
- Display Servant Leadership
- Value Community
- Exemplify Pedagogical Excellence
- 82% of Magis graduates remain in Catholic schools
- 92% of Magis graduates remain involved in education
- 100% of Magis teachers are involved as coaches, retreat leaders, or club moderators
- 2000 students are taught by Magis teachers annually… and counting!
Endorsements are offered in the following areas:
- Language arts
- Natural science
- Social science
- Religious education (K-12)
- Spanish (K-12)
- How to deepen your commitment to Catholic education
- How to enhance your effectiveness as a teacher, counselor or administrator in Catholic schools
- Critical thinking skills
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Childhood development and learning patterns
- Classroom management
- Different methods of instruction
- Individually targeted research
- How to understand educational issues
This program is a hybrid face-to-face and online course delivery. Students live on campus during the summer taking coursework and completing a practicum. While teaching full-time throughout the school year, coursework is completed online. See the complete curriculum
Magis Catholic Teacher Corps teachers receive a monthly stipend, fully subsidized tuition and fees, medical insurance, housing and summer meals. Additionally, Magis teachers may be eligible for loan deferment and/or loan forgiveness.