Medical Microbiology and Immunology (Master of Science)
Other Programs Available
A Master of Science (MS) in medical microbiology and immunology from Creighton University could introduce you to the field or help you identify a primary interest in microbiology and immunology. Either way, it will prepare you well for a variety of health sciences careers.
During your 2-year master’s program, you’ll have a combination of course work and laboratory experience to familiarize you with microbiology and immunology and teach you the scientific method.
Creighton MS in medical microbiology and immunology graduates have gone on to successful careers as university professors and leading scientists with pharmaceutical and biotech companies and governmental agencies. They also have found fulfillment teaching medical microbiology and immunology to undergraduates and participating in supervised or team research in universities, industry and government.
The degree also prepares you for doctoral study and education in the health professions.
- Basic and advanced concepts and techniques in contemporary immunology
- Modern methods of bioinstrumentation in medical microbiology
- Clinical microbiology laboratory methods and procedures
- The ability to conduct independent research
- Number of Credits Required: 30 for MS
- Program Start: August
Application Deadline: February 1. International students should apply at least 3 months in advance of anticipated start date in order to get all paperwork processed.
Acceptance into this program is based on your academic record and performance. Your undergraduate curriculum must include fundamental courses in both biological and chemical sciences. For doctoral students, a strong foundation in undergraduate microbiology, immunology, molecular biology and biochemistry are desired. An application should include:
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 on the 4.0 scale is required.
- Completed application and $50 nonrefundable application fee
- Three letters of recommendation (please use the electronic rec. process with the online application!). The recommendations should be completed and submitted by persons other than family members who are qualified to assess an applicant’s performance in an academic or work setting.
- Statement of purpose
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE): A minimum combined score of 300 is required for the verbal and quantitative reasoning sections, and a minimum score of 4.0 is required for the analytical writing component.
- If you are an international applicant, living in a country where English is not the primary language of instruction, you must demonstrate proficiency in English by submitting a minimum TOEFL score of 90 iBT (557 PBT) or a minimum IELTS overall band score of 6.5 (no sub score lower than 6). You are not required to submit a TOEFL score report if you received your baccalaureate or a higher degree from an accredited institution in the United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or Africa (English-speaking only).
- Cost: Students accepted into the program receive full tuition remission, fees, and health insurance.
- Stipend: Master’s students do not receive a stipend.