Personal Financial Planning (Graduate Certificate)
Other Programs Available
Energize your career and stand out amongst the crowd.
Are you a financial professional looking to advance your knowledge and skills in financial planning? Are you planning to earn your CFP® certification?
Financial planning is expected to be a lucrative and competitive career in the coming years, with employment of personal financial advisors projected to grow 12 percent. Set yourself apart with a graduate certificate in Personal Financial Planning from Creighton University.
This program is best suited for finance professionals looking to energize their careers and better serve their clients by earning their CFP® certification. Students in this program will learn how to analyze personal financial situations and evaluate client objectives, needs and values to develop a comprehensive financial plan using a six-step planning process.
Source: Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI) – August 2017
Gain the education you need to sit for the CFP® Exam.
The Personal Financial Planning Certificate curriculum consists of six courses designed to provide a focused and in-depth study of the field of financial planning, including covering the 72 Topic Areas of Learning specified by the CFP® Board of Standards.
The CFP® certification is recognized as the highest professional certification for financial planners. Earning your CFP® certification shows your clients and your employer that you are serious about financial planning. CFP® professionals are uniquely qualified to understand their clients’ financial situations and develop recommendations to help set and achieve their financial goals.
The Personal Financial Planning certificate has been approved by the CFP® Board of Standards as satisfying the academic requirements needed to sit for the CFP® exam. These include:
- Professional Conduct and Regulation
- General Principles of Financial Planning
- Education Planning
- Risk Management and Insurance Planning
- Investment Planning
- Tax Planning
- Retirement Savings and Income Planning
- Estate Planning
The coursework includes six classes for a total of 18 credit hours. Each course is eight weeks and is offered at least once per calendar year.
- Insurance Risk Management
- Tax Theory and Business Decisions
- Estate Planning and Taxation
- Retirement Planning and Employee Benefits
- Investment Value and Theory
- Cases in Financial Planning – Capstone
The requirements listed below apply to the Personal Financial Planning Certificate program only. If you choose to move on to the MBA program, you’ll need to complete additional requirements.
If you decide you want to go on to pursue a Master of Business Administration (MBA), credits earned in this program can be used toward an MBA with an emphasis in Personal Financial Planning.
Creighton University has maintained continuous accreditation with the Higher Learning Commission since 1928. For information regarding the University’s accreditation status, visit http://www.creighton.edu/accreditation/.
Information regarding academic programs which hold specialized accreditation can be found on this page.
- Completed application & $50 application fee
- Bachelor’s degree with 3.0 GPA or higher
- Must include coursework in accounting, microeconomics, macroeconomics, and corporate finance
- Official transcripts from all educational institutions attended
- Resume or curriculum vitae
A personal interview may be requested in addition to the above requirements. The interview may be conducted in-person or virtually.
To help make your graduate studies at Creighton University more affordable, we encourage you to apply for financial assistance. Here’s how to apply:
- Step 1: File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Step 2: We’ll contact you if verification is required
- Step 3: You’ll receive a financial aid award notification
- Step 4: Accept your aid offer
- Tuition and Fees
- Financial Aid
- Scholarships offered by the University
- Scholarships offered by third parties
For questions about financial aid, contact:
gpfinaid [at] creighton [dot] edu
Creighton makes public all required information for consumers.
|Start Classes in||Apply By|