Pharmaceutical Sciences (Master of Science)
Other Programs Available
Research your way to a future in pharmaceuticals.
Position yourself to make a difference in the world of medicine with Creighton University’s Master of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences. This program is perfect if you aspire to educate others, pursue a research career in the pharmaceutical industry, or take the next step in your journey to be a pharmacist.
Take advantage of a wealth of opportunity.
There’s no better time to pursue your master’s degree in pharmaceutical sciences. The number of positions for professionals with this degree is expected to rise nearly 11 percent over the next decade. Many of our graduates go on to work in the pharmaceutical industry where medical scientists earn a median annual salary of $81,161. Others continue their education and pursue their doctorate while some decide to teach.
Source: Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI) – October 2017
Choose a specialization – make the program your own.
Through this program, you’ll complete coursework, research a topic in pharmaceutical science of interest to you, and submit a thesis based on your research, which may encompass the following areas:
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Social and Administrative Pharmacy
Considering a career as a pharmacist? Our Doctor of Pharmacy and Master of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences dual degree program is an excellent way to save time and money as you earn a comprehensive education. See the Dual Degree section below for more information.
To earn the Master of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences degree at Creighton University, you must complete 33 credits:
- 22 credits in elective courses. Students may select courses from the following list depending on the nature of their thesis research along with the recommendation of their supervisor and thesis research committee.
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Ocular Pharmacology
- Parental Drug Dosages Forms
- Introduction to Pharmaceutical Materials Science
- Advanced Medicinal Chemistry
- Advanced Pharmacokinetics
- Macromolecular Systems
- Disperse Systems
- Solid Delivery Systems
- Pharmacology of Immune Response
- Directed Independent Study
- Directed Independent Research
- Biomedical Sciences
- Fundamentals of Cell and Molecular Biology
- Fundamentals of Genetics and Molecular and Cellular Pathology
- Proteins: Structure-Function Relationships (Medical Microbiology and Immunology)
- Medical Bioinformatics and Functional Genomics
- Advanced Topics in Neuroscience
- Advanced Cell and Molecular Biology
- Advanced Topics in Cell and Molecular Biology
- Cellular and Molecular Mechanisms of Transmembrane Signaling
- Business Administration
- Managerial Finance
- Economic Analysis for Managers
- Marketing Management
- Business Intelligence and Analytics
- Information Systems Management
- Medical Microbiology and Immunology
- Bacterial Physiology
- Advanced Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy
- Advanced Immunology
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
Students will select a major advisor and assemble a thesis committee. The student, advisor and committee will formulate a plan of study. The advisor and committee will assist the student during the entire course of the program.
Creighton University has maintained continuous accreditation with the Higher Learning Commission since 1928. For information regarding the University’s accreditation status, visit http://www.creighton.edu/accreditation/.
Information regarding academic programs which hold specialized accreditation can be found on this page.
- Completed application & $50 application fee
- Bachelor’s degree with 3.0 GPA or higher
- Must include coursework in biological sciences, chemical sciences, biochemistry, and mathematics
- Official transcripts from all educational institutions attended
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Personal statement. See application for specific requirements
- Three letters of recommendation from persons other than friends or family members who can speak to your performance in an academic or professional setting
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score. Use school code 6121 for this program
A personal interview may be requested in addition to the above requirements. The interview may be conducted in-person or virtually.
Tuition is waived for students accepted into Creighton’s pharmaceutical sciences master’s program. Students also receive a stipend and health insurance coverage.
Program Start Date
- Earn your Doctor of Pharmacy degree while earning a master’s degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences with a specialization in one of several areas.
- Available on campus only