Asian Culture Week to Have “Green” Focus
Creighton University's Asian World Center will host its sixth annual Asian Culture Week, April 18-23. This year’s theme is “Asia the Colorful: Striving for Greener.”
The week involves a series of events including lectures, roundtable discussions, art shows, live demonstrations, a documentary screening and two concerts.
A delegation from the prestigious Nanjing Arts Institute in China, headed by its vice president, will join this year’s celebration. For a complete listing of events please visit: http://www2.creighton.edu/ccas/asianworldcenter/asiancultureweek
All events are free and open to the public. Since 2005, Creighton students have experienced Asia’s politics, economy, society, culture, tradition and identity through Asian Culture Week. The themes over the past five years have reflected Creighton’s educational mission while striving to enrich global awareness.
This year’s event shares Asian concerns over environment-related crises and the Asian attitude towards procuring a green earth in an effort to inspire others to create and maintain a healthy, sustainable environment for generations to come. Event highlights include:
- April 19. “Between Trees and Axes: India’s New Non-Violent Resistance for Green Land” by Fr. Paul Coelho, S.J., Creighton’s Center for Service and Justice.
- April 19-23, exhibition featuring eco-green industrial arts and designs from Nanjing Arts Institute in China, on display at the Lied Art Gallery.
- April 20. Cutting-Edge Demo-Presentation: “Go Paperless Computing---A Green Digital Obligation” by Joel Davies, Apple Distinguished Educator, Department of Journalism & Mass Communication, Creighton University.
- April 20. River Water concert with performances by Ms. Xing Lu and Ms. Tong Ying, musicians from the College of Music at the Nanjing Arts Institute in China.
- April 20. Reception at 7 p.m. following River Water concert
- April 21. Keynote Presentation: “Chinese Traditional Green Thinking and its Impact upon Industrial Designs” by Dr. He Xiaoyu, vice president of Nanjing Arts Institute, China.
This event is organized by the Asian World Center at Creighton and sponsored by the Creighton University Non-Western Committee, College of Arts and Sciences, Cardoner at Creighton, Fine & Performing Arts Department and the Lied Art Gallery, with support from the Nanjing Arts Institute of China.