Each year Creighton University commemorates its founding with a series of events during Founders Week, several of which honor students, faculty and administrators who make significant contributions to the University.
A highlight is the annual Convocation address by Creighton President, the Rev. John P. Schlegel, S.J., that summarizes the past year’s accomplishments, the state of the University and insights for the future.
Founders Week 2011 begins with the Alpha Sigma Nu Induction at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Feb.5, at the Mike and Josie Harper Center for Student Life and Learning, Ahmanson Ballroom, where 62 students and four honorary faculty will be inducted into the international honor society.
Founders Week Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 6, at St. John’s Church, where two University employees will receive the 2011 St. Ignatius Award.
Fr. Schlegel’s annual Convocation address will take place at 4 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 8, in the Harper Center, Hixson-Lied Auditorium. Following his remarks, faculty members with 25 years of service to the University will be honored, emeriti promotions will be conferred and distinguished administrator, faculty and research awards will be presented. They include:
- Distinguished Administrative Service Award—Marilyn Stockdale, BSBA’76, administrator for the Department of Preventive Medicine
- Distinguished Faculty Service Award—Henry Lynch, M.D., chairman of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, director of the Hereditary Cancer Institute at Creighton University Medical Center
- University Research Award—Devendra K. Agrawal, Ph.D., MBA’04, MS’05, professor of Biomedical Sciences
- Ray D. Gaines, BS’54, MD’58 (posthumous recognition), professor Emeritus of Surgery
- Richard L. O'Brien, MS’58, MD’60, F.A.C.P., University professor Emeritus
- Kenneth I. Knowles, D.D.S., M.S., associate professor Emeritus of Endodontics
- Sam J. Cipolla, Ph.D., professor of Physics Emeritus
- Michael C. Makoid, Ph.D., professor of Pharmacy Sciences Emeritus.
The list of faculty receiving 25-year service awards can be found at Honorees.
On Thursday, Feb. 10, Mary Lucretia and Sarah Emily Creighton Award winners Khloe Keeler, Arts and Sciences junior and Bridget Keegan, Ph.D., professor of English, will be recognized during the annual Committee on the Status of Women luncheon in the Harper Center Ahmanson Ballroom.
Ruben Garcia, founder and executive director of Annunciation House, El Paso/Juarez border will present a talk entitled “Welcoming the Stranger: Immigrant Hospitality at the Border and Creighton” at 7 p.m. in the Ahmanson Ballroom. The lecture is free and open to the public.
To view a complete schedule of events, visit the Founders Week web page at: http://www.creighton.edu/events/foundersweek/index.php.