Academics Abroad

Academics Abroad

For complete information regarding academic matters and study abroad, please review the Study Abroad Policies & Procedures.

Course Approval
Students participating in any Creighton In Program or Non-Creighton Program for university credit must complete the Course Approval Form BEFORE applying directly to the program or overseas university. Students will come to the GEO office to pick up the Course Approval Form after completing the required steps in his/her Jays Abroad study abroad portal.

Participants of Encuentro Dominicano or Faculty-Led Programs Abroad (FLPA) DO NOT need to complete the Course Approval Form.

From Fall 2018 onward, courses taken while studying abroad will transfer back to Creighton University with a letter grade.  These grades will be factored into your Creighton GPA.  Grade equivalency charts will be published on the study abroad website in early 2018 to help you understand how the grade abroad will reflect on your Creighton transcript.  This change is in contrast to the former "Pass/Fail" grade policy.

Academic Credit and Final Study Abroad Approval
Creighton defines study abroad as a term in which Creighton University students receive academic credit for courses taken abroad through an approved study abroad program.  Students must receive final approval to study abroad from GEO and/or the respective Dean's Office. Final approval will be given after all study abroad forms and documentation have been turned in and the student has cleared the second disciplinary and academic record checks prior to his/her term abroad.  Students who do not receive final study abroad approval from GEO are not eligible to study abroad.  If a student chooses to study abroad without approval, the student will not retain status as a Creighton student, will not receive academic credit from Creighton for the courses taken abroad, and will not be eligible for Creighton financial aid for any study abroad program. CREIGHTON IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY WITHDRAWAL FEES OR OTHER MONETARY LOSSES INCURRED BY STUDENTS WHO BECOME INELIGIBLE TO STUDY ABROAD. 

Students must request an official study abroad transcript to be sent to GEO upon completion of his/her experience abroad.  Credit for the term abroad will not be granted unless an official transcript is received. 

Depending on the institution, 12 or 15 credits is the minimum course load each semester abroad.  Exceptions are considered only in cases of illness or similar extenuating circumstances.  If students drop below the minimum credit hours required to be considered a full-time student at both Creighton and/or the institution abroad, they will jeopardize status as Creighton students and may lose awarded financial aid. Some programs have specific course requirements and you will discuss these with your Global Programs Coordinator.

Students are responsible for providing coursework, syllabi, reading lists, and any other necessary documents from study abroad courses, if required by the Dean or Department Chair at Creighton. 

Correspondence (Online) Courses
If a student's major dictates that he/she take a correspondence course while abroad, it is the responsibility of the student to make the necessary arrangements prior to his/her departure to the host site.  Students will be responsible for any fees associated with correspondence courses (test proctor, computer usage, etc.). 

When grades are given by faculty from the host country using that country's grading scale, equivalency scales are used to translate the grades to U.S. grades.  These scales are not a mere adaptation to the U.S. percentage or letter grade system, but rather are designed to match the spirit of the host country grading system with the U.S. system.  The same variation that occurs between the differing demands of professors at Creighton is likely to occur with teachers abroad and Creighton does not make adjustments to the grading scale on this count. Students are expected to complete all coursework before they leave the study abroad site.  When enrolling in courses taught by host country nationals, students are expected to select courses that require work that can be assessed for a grade.  If no such academic work can be arranged, students will not receive credit for the class.  To dispute a grade from a study abroad program, students should directly contact the program sponsor, host institution, or faculty member.  Creighton and/or GEO cannot intervene or assist with grade disputes for courses taken during a study abroad period.