Ask a Colleague to "Peer Review" Your Assignment
A good way to fine-tune an assignment is to ask a colleague to read it and role-play a student’s reaction to the instructions. Follow-up questions for your colleague could include:
- "Is the assignment clear?"
- "How might a student misinterpret the assignment?"
- "Is the grading criteria clear?"
- Does the purpose of the assignment tie to my course goals?"
- "Would the assignment seem like busy work to some students?"
Bean, J. (2011). Engaging Ideas: The Professor’s Guide to Integrating Writing, Critical Thinking, and Active Learning in the Classroom. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.