Sonia Maria Rocha-Sanchez, BS, MS, PhD, MBA
Director, Biomedical Sciences Research Core
School of Dentistry
Faculty - Dentistry
Neuroscience (Master of Science)
Biomedical Sciences (Doctorate)
Biomedical Sciences (Master of Science)
Oral Biology (Master of Science)
SOD - School of Dentistry
Sonia M. Rocha-Sanchez, Ph.D., is a tenured associate professor of Human Physiology and Biomedical Sciences in the Department of Oral Biology. She has a Bachelor in Science in Biology (UFAC, Brazil), a M.S. in Genetics (UFV, Brazil), a Ph.D. in Cell and Structural Biology and Population Cytogenetics (UNICAMP, Brazil/UGr, Spain), and a Master in Business Administration (MBA; Creighton University). Dr. Rocha-Sanchez leads an active research program at the Creighton University School of Dentistry, mentoring junior faculty, post-doctoral fellows, graduate and undergraduate students in a variety of research projects. Current projects include auditory and oral tissue regeneration, caries research, oral inflammation, and technology transfer.
Sonia Maria Rocha-Sanchez, BS, MS, PhD, MBA
Director, Biomedical Sciences Research Core
Dr. Rocha-Sanchez currently serves as a liaison and mentor for the Academic Dental Careers Fellowship Program (ADCFP) administered and supported by the Academy of Academic Leadership and the American Dental Education Association (ADEA). These programs focus on providing students with opportunity to receive training and explore opportunities on academic research and teaching, as well as provide specific professional training to faculty members with regards to mentoring and leadership.
Dr. Rocha-Sanchez’s past and current research has been funded by several federally and privately funded grants. Moreover, she contributed on two funded Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) grants, and published a number of peer-reviewed manuscripts in high-profile scientific journals.
- Master in Business Administration (MBA)
Research FocusTranslational Research and Technology Transfer, Tissue Regeneration, Neuroscience, Cell and Molecular Biology, Inner Ear Physiology, Mammalian Inner Ear Development, Cell Cycle Regulation, Genetics of Complex Traits, Cytogenetics and Population Genetics
- Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience
Tarang S., Doi, S.M.S.R., Gurumurthy C.B., Harms D.W., Quadros R., Rocha-Sanchez S.M*. (2014) Generation of a Retinoblastoma (Rb)1-inducible dominant negative (DN)mouse model. DOI: 10.3389/fncel.2015.00052
Rocha-Sanchez S.M*, Scheetz LR, Siddiqi S, Weston MD, Smith LM, Dempsey K, Ali H, McGee J, Walsh E (2013) Lack of Rbl1/p107 Effects on Cell Proliferation and Maturation in the Inner Ear. DOI: 10.4236/jbbs.2013.37056.
Barritt L., Miller J.M., Scheetz L., Pierce M.L., Soukup G, Rocha-Sanchez S.M*, (2013) Conditional Deletion of the Human Orthologue Gene Dicer1 in Pax2-Cre Expression Domain Impairs Orofacial Development. 18: 310-319. DOI: 10.4103/0971-6866.107984.
Lv P, Sihn CR, Wang W, Shen H, Kim HJ, Rocha-Sanchez SM, Yamoah EN (2012) Posthearing Ca2+ currents and their roles in shaping the different modes of firing of spiral ganglion neurons. DOI: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2097-12.2012.
- Physiological Entomology
Montiel EE, Manrique-Poyato MI, Rocha-Sánchez SM, López-León MD, Cabrero J, Perfectti F, Camacho, JP (2012) Nucleolus size varies with sex, ploidy and gene dosage in insects. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-3032.2011.00822.x
- J. Neuroscience 31
Rocha-Sanchez SM *, Scheetz LR, Contreras M, Weston MD, Kortes M, McGee J, Walsh E (2011) Mature Mice Lacking Rbl2/p130 Gene Have Supernumerary Inner Ear Hair Cells and Supporting Cells. PMCID: PMC3132102; DOI:10.1523/JNEUROSCI.5821-10.2011.
- Dev Dyn
Weston MD, Pierce ML, Smith HC, Fritzsch B, Rocha-Sanchez SM, Beisel KW, Soukup GA (2011) MicroRNA-183 family marks neurosensory cell fates in the developing and mature mouse inner ear. PMCID: PMC3072272; DOI 10.1002/dvdy.22591.
- BMC Developmental Biology
Sciarretta C, Fritzsch B, Beisel KW, Rocha-Sanchez SM, Minichiello L (2010) PLC-g mediated signaling is essential for trkB mediated structural neuronal plasticity. PMCID: PMC2964534; DOI:10.1186/1471-213X-10-103
- Panel Discussion: Safe and Sound - Biological, Cultural, and Social Aspects of Hearing Impairment 2016
- Therapeutic prospects of Atoh1 Gene Therapy for Hair Cell Regeneration Where do we stand? Creighton University School of Medicine, Department of Biomedical Sciences. May 1st, 2015. 2015
- Puetz III, W.J., Barritt L.C., Kum J.M., Rocha-Sanchez S.M., Tarang S., Okane B.J. (2015) TREM-1 and TREM-2 protein expression in normal and healthy human gingival tissue. 2015 AACA Annual Meeting, Henderson, NV. 2015
- Therapeutic prospects for treating and rescuing lost hearing. Boys Town National Research Hospital (BTNRH). December 16th, 2014. 2014
- Reversible Inactivation of the Retinoblastoma 1 (Rb1) Gene: What does it mean for hair cell proliferation? University of Nebraska Medical center, November 11th, 2014. 2014
- Berry M.R., Rocha-Sanchez S.M., Benn D.K. (2014) Determining the difference between active and inactive white spot lesions using Sodium Iodide. Creighton University St. Alberts Research Day. Omaha, NE 2014
- Tarang S., Gurumurthy C., Rocha-Sanchez S.M. (2014) Characterization of a novel Rb1 inducible dominant-negative mouse model. 37th ARO Mid-Winter Meeting. San Diego, CA. 2014
- Rocha-Sanchez S.M., Kum J., Zhang Q., Wagner K-U (2014) Temporally Controlled Inactivation of the Retinoblastoma Family of Proteins in the Auditory Supporting Cells. 37th ARO Mid-Winter Meeting. San Diego, CA. 2014
- Brechon M.L., Rocha-Sanchez S.M., Benn D.K. (2013) Pilot Study: Can the presence of calculus in occlusal fissures influence the radiographic detection of caries? 19th International congress of Dentomaxillofacial Radiology (IADMFR). Bergen, Norway. 2013
- McGee J., Brunette K., Stimmler S., Filippini K., Rocha-Sanchez S., Walsh E. (2013) Mechanical filters in Rbl2 null mice: The influence of supernumerary inner ear sensory and/or support cells. 36th ARO Mid-Winter Meeting. Baltimore, MD. 2013
- Brunette K, McGee J, Rocha-Sanchez S, Stimmler S, Walsh E (2013) Do supernumerary sensory cells in the cochleae of Rbl2 null mice provide protection from noise-induced trauma? 36th ARO Mid- Winter Meeting. Baltimore, MD. 2013
- Conditional Deletion of Dicer Impairs Orofacial Development. IADR/LAR General Session. Iguassu Falls, Brazil. June 20th 23, 2012. Podium Presentation 2012
- Rocha-Sanchez, S.M., Miller, J.M., Barritt, L., Scheetz, L., Pierce, M.L., Soukup, G. (2012) Conditional Deletion of Dicer Impairs Orofacial Development. Abstract #19. 90th General Session & Exhibition of the IADR, Iguacu Fall, Brazil. 2012
- Scheetz L, Mighell T, Smith L., Walsh E, McGee J., Rocha-Sanchez S.M. (2012) Lack of the Retinoblastoma Like-1 (p107) Gene Affects Organ of Corti Proliferation, Maturation and Homeostasis. 35th ARO Mid-Winter Meeting. San Diego, CA. 2012
- Hegner E., McGee J., Rocha-Sanchez S.M., Walsh E. (2012) What Tuning Curves from Rbl2 Mutant Mice Reveal about the Influence of Supernumerary Sensory and Support Cells on the Mechanics of Inner-Ear Transduction. 35th ARO Mid-Winter Meeting. San Diego, CA. 2012
- Cochlear Hair Cell Regeneration through Cell Cycle Manipulation. NIDCD Workshop on Regenerative therapies. Bethesda, MD. September 14, 2011. Invited Speaker 2011
- Quantitative Manipulation of Pocket Proteins in Cochlear Supporting Cells to mediate Hair Cell Regeneration. NIH/NICRR/UNMC/COBRE External Advisory Committee Meeting. Omaha, NE. April 1, 2011. 2011
- Wilkinson T.G., Rocha-Sanchez S.M., Nunn M., Benn D.K. (2011) Sodium Iodide radiographic contrast to differentiate between non- and cavitated carious lesions. Abstract# 80. 62nd AAOMR. Chicago, IL. Taylor poster and presentation won 1st place. 2011
- Rocha-Sanchez, S.M., Scheetz, L.R., Siddiqi S., Mighell T.L. (2011) Pocket Proteins sound off: The retinoblastoma gene family in the inner ear sensory hair cells regeneration. Abstract# 50. 2nd Rb Meeting. Toronto, ON, Canada. 2011
- Cerutis D. R., McLaughlin M., Rocha-Sanchez S.M., McVaney T.P., Ogunleye A., Heanden K.V., and Parrish L.C. (2011) Lysophosphatidic Acid Receptors, Periodontal Disease, and Type 2 Diabetes. NMRI Midwest Regional Workshop. Omaha, NE. 2011
- George M., Rocha-Sanchez S.M., Scheetz L., Nayak G., Legan K., Richardson G., Band H. (2011) Expression and Localization of EHD Proteins in the Mouse Cochlea. Abstract# 822. 34th ARO Mid- Winter Meeting. Baltimore, MD. 2011
- Scheetz L., Weston M., Rocha-Sanchez S. M. (2011) Deletion of the Retinoblastoma Gene Rbl2/p130 Is Associated with Transcriptional Changes in the Expression of Mitotic-, Cell Growth-, and Differentiation Regulators in the Mouse Organ of Corti. Abstract# 843. 34th ARO Mid-Winter Meeting. Baltimore, MD. 2011
- Rocha-Sanchez S.M., Scheetz L., Contreras M., Weston M., Korte M., Walsh E., McGee J. (2011) Mature Rbl2/p130-Deficient Mice Inner Ear Is Functional Despite the Presence of Additional Hair Cells and Supporting Cells. Abstract# 842. 34th ARO Mid-Winter Meeting. Baltimore, MD. 2011
- Hegner E, McGee J, Rocha-Sanchez S.M., Walsh E. (2011) What Tuning Curves from Rbl2 Mutant Mice Reveal About the Influence of Supernumerary Sensory and Support Cells on the Mechanics of Inner-Ear Transduction. Abstract# 841. 34th ARO Mid-Winter Meeting. Baltimore, MD. 2011
- Weston M., Rocha-Sanchez S.M., Pierce M., Soukup G. (2011) Increased Cochlear Inner Hair Cells in Transgenic MicroRNA-183 Family Misexpression Mice Implicate MicroRNA Mediation of HairSonia M. Rocha-Sanchez, M.S., Ph.D. Cell and Supporting Cell Proliferation, Differentiation and Survival. Abstract# 826. 34th ARO Mid- Winter Meeting. Baltimore, MD. 2011
- Pierce M., Weston M., Jensen-Smith H., Walsh E., McGee J., Korte M., Fritzsch B, Rocha-Sanchez S.M., Soukup G. (2011) Hair Cell MicroRNA Depletion Affects Hair Cell Maintenance and Causes Progressive Hearing Loss. Abstract# 824. 34th ARO Mid-Winter Meeting. Baltimore, MD. 2011
- Gardener K.B., Barritt L.C., Sheetz L.R., and Rocha-Sanchez S.M. (2011) Histological Analysis of Cranioskeletal Development in a Conditional Dicer Knockout Mouse. 2011 Midwest Student Biomedical Science Research Conference. Omaha, NE. Kelsey Gardners poster was selected for presentation at th e 47th Annual Dental Students Conference On Research that took place in Gaithersburg, MD this past May, 2011. 2011
- Role of Dicer in Craniofacial Development. Department of Oral Biology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, School of Dentistry, Lincoln, NE. December 8, 2010. Invited Speaker 2010
- Digging Deeper in the Cell Cycles Pocket: The Retinoblastoma Gene Family in Auditory Hair Cells Regeneration. Department of Biomedical Sciences, Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha NE. November 30, 2010. Invited Speaker at BMS 791 Biomedical Science Seminars 2010
- Role of MicroRNA (miRNA) in mammalian orofacial development. 88th General Session & Exhibition of the IADR, Barcelona, Spain. July 14, 2010. Podium Presentation 2010
- Little siblings with a big attitude: Rbl1(p107) and Rbl2 (p130) in inner ear hair cell regeneration. 33rd ARO Mid-Winter Meeting, Anaheim, CA. February 20, 2010. Podium Presentation 2010
- Rocha-Sanchez S.M., Scheetz L., Weston M., McGee J., Walsh E. (2010) Little Siblings with a Big Attitude: Rbl1 (P107) and Rbl2 (P130) in Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration. Abstract# 13. 33rd ARO Mid-Winter Meeting. Anaheim, CA. 2010
- Rocha-Sanchez S.M., Scheetz L., Weston M., McGee J., Walsh E. (2010) Rbl1 (p107) and Rbl2 (p130) in Inner Ear Hair Cell Regeneration. Abstract# S100. NIH, NCRR third Biennial National IDeA Symposium of Biomedical Research Excellence (NISBRE). Washington, DC. 2010
- Pierce M., Weston M., Walsh E., McGee J., Korte M., Jensen-Smith H., Fritzsch B, Rocha-Sanchez S.M., Soukup G. (2010) Hair Cell-Specific MicroRNA Depletion Affects Hair Cell Maintenance and Causes Progressive Hearing Loss. Abstract# 590. 33rd ARO Mid-Winter Meeting. Anaheim, CA. 2010
- Joseph M. Miller, Laura Barritt, Laura Scheetz, L. Pierce, Garrett A. Soukup, and Sonia M. Rocha- Sanchez (2010). Role of MicroRNA (miRNA) in mammalian orofacial development. Abstract #17. 88th General Session & Exhibition of the IADR, Barcelona, Spain. 2010
- PhD Fellowship
Brazilian Science Foundation (CNPq/CAPES)