Family Medicine Residency Program
Welcome to Creighton's Family Medicine Residency Program
The Creighton University Family Medicine Residency in Omaha, Nebraska is an academic residency program that provides a wide spectrum of training opportunities with a unique patient population cared for by a diverse group of residents and faculty.
What Makes Us Stand Out
- We form lifelong relationships demonstrated through the close relationships within our teams including residents, faculty, and staff
- Six of our current faculty completed either a residency or fellowship in our department
- We have created a space for residents and faculty from diverse backgrounds to work collaboratively
- BMMC - Level 1 trauma center, access to multiple specialties
- Robust inpatient service – round collaboratively with pharmacy team
- OB service and working at Immanuel hospital – unopposed OB residency and working one on one with attending and fellows
- Choice of inpatient or outpatient tracks
- Elective months
About the Program
As a Jesuit institution we focus on “whole person care” meaning that we not only focus on physical health, but also care for the mind and spirit. We have providers and patients from all Religious backgrounds.
Our mission is to focus on the values of each patient and provide a space that is supportive and inclusive to their needs.
Watch the video for a quick tour of our program.
- House staff council with all other residents and opportunity to be a part of it
- Wellness Committee, Graduation Committee, Community Outreach Committee, Program Evaluation Committee, Selection Committee, Education Committee, Research/QI Committee, Clinic QI Committee, House Staff, NAFP
- Attending and senior/junior mentorship
- Resident development – Funds provided for conferences, purchasing learning material, exam resources and courses such as ATLS, PALS, etc.
- Feedback and evaluation – quarterly meetings, semi annuals, numbers following, rotation evaluations
- AAFP and ABFM memberships provided
- Friendly hardworking culture and safe learning environment
- Retreats, 5th Fridays, wellness committee and fun learning at didactics
- We see a wide variety of patients in terms of both socioeconomic and geopolitical diversity of patients
- We are located in the downtown area so see patients who work in that area (Union Pacific, Mutual of Omaha)
- We are located near shelters for peoples experiencing homelessness such as the Siena Frances House and also participate in a Magis Clinic event yearly
- We have a refugee contract for the state of Nebraska and see refugees from all around the world including Southeast Asia, Africa, The Middle East, etc
- Student health for Creighton University is also located in the same building we see our patients
Program Mission and Aims
The mission of Creighton University Family Medicine Residency is to train men and women in the art and science of family medicine (where family medicine is the medical specialty devoted to comprehensive care for people of all ages based on the knowledge of the patient in the context of the family, community and culture the patient exists in) through service to the medically underserved (in all aspects of underserved) while practicing inclusivity in all our interactions (regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, opinion, nationality or citizenship status of the other) in a way that consciously aims to reduce healthcare disparities and teaches our residents to be leaders of advocacy for the health of our community.
We, the practitioners of Creighton University Family Medicine Residency, stand in proud awe at the gift of healing that our community has bestowed upon us as well as the responsibility that gift entails. Through this service and rigorous training, we actively seek to undergo a transformation of who we are into persons awake to a fuller sense of themselves in order to become a beacon of health and a space for healing for all our current and future patients.
- Develop faculty to be masters of professional mentorship and giving articulate and useable feedback to learners, all while practicing excellent medicine
- Develop residents to be future community leaders and advocates while practicing excellent medicine
- Establish a clinical experience for the residents that teaches medicine through all ages and in all situations
- Establish a mission experience for residents that helps them articulate their own mission statement, while serving the medically underserved in various forms
- Develop and maintain a culture of inclusivity, diversity and service to the marginalized of society
- Develop astute clinical reasoning applicable to all persons regardless of culture, nationality or life circumstance
- We have two faculty champions who lead the QI and Research, Dr. Elsasser, PharmD and Dr. Mullick, MD
- We meet once a month to discuss projects
- Our focus in our QI and Research historically has been to improve the health of the community and improve the quality of care we provide to our patients
- “Food Insecurity” won an award at the 2019 Creighton QI Symposium
- “Interprofessional and Collaborative Care Practice” won an award at the 2021 Creighton QI Symposium
- Opportunities for fellowships, i.e sleep medicine, sports, ER, OB, geriatrics etc.
- In house Family Medicine Obstetrics Fellowship
- 98% Board pass rate over the past 5 years
- Program pays for Board Exams in third year