For Visiting Faculty
Creighton's Encuentro Dominicano program has a long tradition of faculty support. Faculty members interested in teaching an undergraduate course for a 3-week block on site in Santiago should complete the online application found at http://www.creighton.edu/ccas/academics/globallearning/index.php
Creighton University is committed to ensuring that all faculty participating in this immersion and study abroad experience are well prepared for traveling and offering their courses in the unique setting of the Dominican Republic. This site is devoted to providing information to faculty who may either be considering teaching in the Dominican Republic or who are scheduled to teach in an upcoming semester.
Before You Leave:
Faculty members who are selected to teach a course will be provided with more detailed information and deadlines on travel reservations, immunizations, insurance and other preparations from the College of Arts and Sciences Dean's office. Faculty must make sure that they have a valid U.S. Passport for 6 months beyond the end of their designated time in the Dominican Republic.
When You Arrive - Faculty Members Will:
- Meet an Encuentro representative and ILAC/CESI staff at the airport upon arrival.
- Have an introduction to the Encuentro staff and/or ILAC/CESI staff members in the main office.
- Receive your room key and unpack your suitcases in your room.
- Make arrangements to get money or visit an ATM for spending cash.
- Make yourself aware of upcoming events and trips with the Encuentro students.
When You Leave - Faculty Members Will:
- Return room keys to the ILAC/CESI office
- Purchase items from ILAC/CESI gift store or Santiago to take back with you. The coffee, local art, ILAC t-shirts or hats, and handmade candles all make great gifts.
- Make sure you have coordinated your travel to the airport with the academic director.
After You Have Returned to Omaha:
- Tell your story to your students and promote the Encuentro Program to interested students.
- Counsel students who have expressed an interest in the Encuentro Program
- Remind your colleagues during registration of the Encuentro Program so they can advise students on the different elements of the program.
- Participate in activities such as the Dar la Vuelta overnight retreat for students scheduled early on in the semester after students return to Omaha.
- Encourage other faculty to apply to teach in the program
For additional Information:
Contact Dr. Sharon Ishii-Jordan in the Arts and Sciences Dean's Office with any questions about applying to be a visiting faculty member.
Eppley Rm. 221