Academic Success Programs
Hippocampus Success Seminar
Named after the part of the brain involved in memory formation, organization, and learning processes, the Hippocampus Success Seminar is an interactive program designed to orient new students to the academic rigor and expectations of the Creighton classroom.
Week 1 – A Beautiful Mind: The Psychology of Learning
Wednesday, September 7 | 7-8pm | Criss 452
- Beliefs about how we learn and how our beliefs influence our success.
- Brain function and how it impacts concentration, focus, and handling distractions.
- Mindset, grit, and resilience – keys to overcoming setbacks.
Week 2 – Everyday Choices: Strategies for Academic Success
Wednesday, September 14 | 7-8pm | Criss 452
- Class… to go or not to go? Homework… what if it isn’t required?
- Strategies to help manage all this FREE TIME and the importance of setting a schedule.
- Movin’ on up! How successful students make the jump from HS to college-level studying.
Week 3 – Get Connected: Campus Resources to Use Now
Wednesday, September 21 | 7-8pm | Criss 452
- It’s online, but where?! BlueLine, BlueCast, NEST, CUMail, and CreightonConnect.
- People to know, places to go… the Student Success Center, the Writing Center, and the library.
Week 4 – Act Like You Belong: You’re a Bluejay!
Wednesday, September 28 | 7-8pm | Criss 452
- How to succeed in different classroom environments.
- The value of learning for the sake of knowledge, not just because you have to!
- Professors are people, too! Get to know them (you’ll be glad you did).
Join Academic Success in this workshop that will focus on test taking techniques, study tips, time management tools, and other advice specifically related to the study of biology. Walk away (or log out!) with some practical and useful strategies that will help you master BIO and ace (or do really well) on your next exam!
The Success Center
2500 California Plaza
Omaha, NE 68178
Reinert Alumni Library Building, Suite L27 (lower level)