The Nation's Largest Student-Run Business Conference
The Creighton Business Symposium
Since 2004, the Creighton Business Symposium has brought together the Creighton community and global business executives to discuss current issues in today’s dynamic business environment.
The conference features keynote addresses, panel discussions and breakout sessions for you to network with inspiring business leaders and to lay the foundation for future internships and full-time career opportunities as a part of the Anna Tyler Waite Leadership Program.
Students are in charge of fundraising upwards of $50,000 a year, obtaining corporate sponsorships and choosing the theme of the symposium. Students also help recruit panel participants and keynote speakers.
2022 Creighton Business Symposium
October 21, 2022 at the CHI Health Center
Our team is excited to announce that the Business Symposium will be on October 21. The Business Symposium has been an annual tradition in the Heider College of Business since 2004. The event is designed to give students opportunities to learn more about future careers, meet professionals and engage with the community.
2022 Event Details
|7:30 - 8:15 a.m.||Registration and Continental Breakfast|
|8:30 - 8:40 a.m.||Opening Welcome|
|8:40 - 9:00 a.m.||Morning Keynote Speaker|
|9:00 - 9:20 a.m.||Morning Keynote Speaker|
|9:30 - 10:15 a.m.|
Breakout Session 1
|10:15 - 10:40 a.m.||Networking Session 1|
|10:40 - 11:25 a.m.|
Breakout Session 2
|11:25 a.m. - 11:50 a.m.||Networking Session 2|
|11:50 a.m. - 12:35 p.m.|
Breakout Session 3
|12:45 - 1:15 p.m.||Luncheon Welcome & Blessing|
|1:15 - 1:35 p.m.||Afternoon Keynote Speaker|
|1:35 - 1:45 p.m.||Closing Remarks|
Big East Conference Commissioner
Val Ackerman was named the fifth Commissioner of the BIG EAST Conference on June 26, 2013. She was the founding President of the Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) and is a past President of USA Basketball, which oversees the U.S. men's and women's Olympic basketball program. She has had a long and accomplished career in the sports industry and is one of the few executives in sports who has held leadership positions in both men’s and women’s sports at the collegiate, professional, national team and international levels. She is an inductee of the Naismith Memorial Basketball of Fame (2021), the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame (2011) and the New Jersey Hall of Fame (2021).
John E. Schlifske
Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, Northwestern Mutual
John Schlifske is chairman, president and chief executive officer of Northwestern Mutual. He is also a member of the company’s Board of Trustees. After joining Northwestern Mutual in 1987 as an investment specialist, Schlifske moved from portfolio manager to senior executive overseeing a variety of the company’s investment operations. He later headed different parts of the company’s business operations. Schlifske is a director on the board of Kohl’s Corporation. He is also a member of the Executive Committee of the American Council of Life Insurers’ Board of Directors and, in the greater Milwaukee community, he serves on the board of the Metropolitan Milwaukee Association of Commerce. A Milwaukee-area native, Schlifske received a bachelor’s degree in economics from Carleton College and a master’s degree in finance and accounting from the Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern University. He is married to Kim, and they have six children.
Connect with John on LinkedIn
Former NBA Player, Entrepreneur
former 14-year NBA basketball player, offers more than deep 3’s on the court. Off the court, he is a passionate businessman, entrepreneur, family man and man of God. Being a successful basketball player and a successful entrepreneur have many similarities. In basketball, there is an understanding that the more time and effort put in, the more you get out. Being an entrepreneur is very much the same. Even as a young kid, Anthony started his own businesses mowing lawns, and detailing cars. He went on to graduate from Creighton on a basketball scholarship with a bachelor’s degree in finance. His hard work continued through his 14 year NBA career, also being chosen as an executive board member for the NBPA 8 of those years.
Breakout 1: Panel Topics
Setting the Table
- Are you a welcoming, fun person? You'll fit right in at this panel - these guys are pros! Learn about the food and hospitality industries from professionals and learn how they got started.
Serving the Public Through the Private Sector
- Setting the world on fire is a constant theme at Creighton. Learn more about a career path that combines your business knowledge with your passion for creating real change. Come hear from a panel that has leveraged their business experience to serve the public.
Social Media: Building Trust
- The emergence of social networks have changed the way consumers and companies interact with one another. Companies have taken advantage of social media in different ways, but how can social media be used to build consumer trust?
Opportunities in Management Consulting
- Management consulting is a popular buzz word going around today. Learn what it actually is, how it affects the workplace, and how many different niches there are within from experts.
Breakout 2: Panel Topics
Beyond the Locker Room: The Business of Sports
- We see the big contracts and the big games, but what happens behind the scenes to make an organization successful? Come hear from a special panel with a wide range of experiences in the world of sports.
Unique Routes to Success
- There is not one distinct route to success. Success can come from any major, internship, or experience when you have the drive to succeed. Hear how these professionals have forged their own paths to success and how you can do the same.
Begin your Journey to Financial Freedom
- Learn the basics of personal finance and get yourself on the right track so you don't have to worry about finances. Your future self will thank you.
Social Entrepreneurship: Incorporating Values into Business
- What does it mean for a business to prioritize both people and profits? Hear from entrepreneurs as they share their experiences conducting business in a way that promotes social change.
Breakout 3: Panel Topics
Cyber Security: Breaches
- Students will be educated on several subjects regarding breaches. Providing answers and guidance on breaches that can come in all shapes and sizes disrupting all sorts of industries.
What Sets Them Apart: Finance vs. Accounting
- Accounting and Finance are often tied together - both in academics as well as in the real world. This panel will help you discern which path fits you better by displaying real world career opportunities. Our panelists will help demonstrate the differences and similarities between finance and accounting as it relates to the real world and the classroom.
The Bridge Between Healthcare and Business
- Interested in the intersection of business and healthcare? Hear from a variety business and healthcare professionals experienced in managerial, administrative, and analytical issues in the healthcare industry.
The Future of Inflation
- We have seen record breaking inflation in the last 40 years. Learn how inflation is currently affecting industries and about inflation trends experts plan on seeing in the near future. Find a clear vision of your future.
Our team is excited to announce that the Business Symposium will be on October 21! The Business Symposium has been an annual tradition in the Heider College of Business since 2004. The event is designed to give students opportunities to learn more about future careers, meet professionals, and engage with the community.
Wednesday, October 19th is the second Annual JayTalks.
Five passionate student leaders will share their inspirational stories and definitions.
Friday, October 21 is the 19th annual Creighton Business Symposium.
Students and business professionals learn and network outside of the classroom.
The 2022 Business Symposium Student Organizers Team includes:
- Kaitlyn Rosenbaum - Coordinator
- Luke Klahs - Coordinator
- Jaliya Nagahawate - Sponsorship Committee
- Erin Meyer - Sponsorship Committee
- Lanie Steven - Sponsorship Committee
- Grant McCoy - Sponsorship Committee
- Erin Bowler - Marketing Committee
- Aaron Rivera - Marketing Committee
- Gaby Watton - Marketing Committee
- Liz Sims - Logistics Committee
- Cooper Bushey – Logistics Committee
- Israel Rodriguez - Creative Committee
- Joe Ryan - Creative Committee
- Evelyn Frost - Creative Committee
Join the conversation on Social!
Creighton University Business Symposium
Past Speakers have included:
- William Fox, BA’84, JD’87, Managing Director and Global Head of Financial Crimes Compliance for Bank of America
- Debra Moritz, BSBA’84, U.S. Head of Business Consulting for Cushman & Wakefield, Inc.
- Dr. Peter Leddy, BA’85, Senior Vice President of Global Human Resources at Life Technologies
- Sheila Nix, BSBA’83, Chief of Staff to Dr. Jill Biden
Theme: Curiosity Inspires Confidence
Keynotes: Ron Carson, founder and CEO of Inc. 5000 firm Carson Group; Jane Miller, a thought leader in performance management, leadership and organizational identity; Judith Kohoskie Ricketts, Managing Director of Investor Services at TD Ameritrade.
Theme: Collaboration: Risk: The Foundation of Growth
Keynotes: Emily Belden BA’08, Author, Harlequin and Mark Beam BSBA’80, MBA & JD’83, Director of Innovation/Design in Entrepreneurship, Kauffman Foundation
Theme: Collaboration: The Fast Track to Innovation
Keynotes: Healey Cypher, Co-Founder and CEO, OAK Labs Inc. and Hans Hartman, Former COO of Fitbit & Oculus, a Facebook Company
Theme: Matching Passion with Profit
Keynotes: Jayme Martin, VP and GM of Global Categories, Nike Inc. and Jeanne Sullivan, Founder and Chief Inspirational Officer of Sullivan Adventures
Theme: Bridging Business with the World Around Us
Keynotes: Tom Copeman, Vice President, Business Development, Air Weapons Systems, Raytheon Missile Systems, Tom Weir, Vice President & Treasurer American Airlines Group, Inc
Theme: Inspiring Ethical Leadership for a Changing World
Keynotes: William Fox, ’84 and JD’87, Managing Director, Global Head of Financial Crimes Compliance, Bank of America
Debra Moritz, ’84, U.S. Head of Business Consulting, Cushman & Wakefield, Inc.
Theme: A Decade of Excellence
Keynotes: Nick Ghoussaini, Senior Operating Partner, Triton
Bruce Rasmussen, Director of Athletics, Creighton University
Keynotes: Peter Leddy, Ph.D., Senior Vice President of Global Human Resources at Life Technologies,
Jenny Hansen, West Corp.
Theme: Emerging Leaders. Educating Change.
Keynotes: Steve Luczo, CEO, Seagate Technology
Shelia Nix, United States Executive Director, ONE.org
Symposium hosts its first workshop, “Ready, Set, Pitch,” where students were able to market a product in front of a panel of judges.
Theme: Learning with Passion, Leading with Excellence
Keynotes: Tony Audino, CEO, Conenza, Inc.
Mr. Donald Bisenius, Executive Vice President of the Single-Family Credit Guarantee (Freddie Mac)
Ms. Abby Bruning, Footwear Merchandiser at Nike
Special Agent Bob Herndon, Federal Bureau of Investigation
Mr. Mike Rock, Vice President of External Relations at Union Pacific
Creighton Business Symposium Sponsors