Science and Medicine in Society (Minor)
In both history and contemporary society, science, medicine, ethics and technology have shaped one another. The Science and Medicine in Society minor at Creighton provides students with historical, sociological, and anthropological perspectives on science and medicine.
Through the dynamic courses in this minor, you’ll gain an understanding of the impact of science and medicine in society and apply these analytical skills within rewarding careers. The minor is not open to students majoring in history, but makes a great fit for students majoring in one of the sciences or humanities and wanting to add interdisciplinary depth to their studies.
Through the courses in this minor, students will gain an understanding of science and medicine as social and political enterprises, which change over time not simply due to new discoveries and insights, but more fundamentally because of evolving conceptions of what constitutes reliable knowledge about human health and the natural world.
Even further, students will:
- Learn the necessary analytic skills to make critical assessments about the social production of knowledge.
- Acquire the tools needed to construct compelling arguments about the role, place, and impact of science and medicine in society.
For the science and medicine in society minor, you will need 18 credits.
Creighton admissions are based upon:
- High school GPA
- ACT or SAT scores*
- Extracurricular activities
- Personal statement to demonstrate creative abilities not reflected in your transcripts
- Recommendation from high school counselor
- Honors sections and advanced placement courses will enhance a candidate’s application
*For students who are choosing to apply test-optional, ACT/SAT exam scores are not required at the time of application for admission.
Dates & Deadlines
Applications for the fall semester open on Aug. 1 of the prior year. For scholarship consideration, the earlier you complete your undergraduate application, the better. For up-to-date deadlines, visit our admissions page.
Tuition & Financial Aid
Tuition rates are updated each year. Visit our financial aid site to learn more about the cost of attendance.
Creighton University’s Financial Aid Office administers over $200,000,000 in student aid each year from federal, state, institutional and private sources.