Housestaff Leadership Council
The Housestaff Leadership Council is the self-governing and representative body of the housestaff at the Creighton University Phoenix residency and fellowship programs at St. Joseph Hospital Medical Center and Valleywise Health Medical Center.
The mission of the Housestaff Leadership Council is to represent the Housestaff of Creighton Phoenix Graduate Medical Education to develop, promote and advocate for our medical education and residency culture. We aim to promote patient-centered care in the community, emphasizing wellness, diversity and inclusion, research, quality improvement, and social medicine.
Goals of Housestaff Leadership Council
Together we work to:
- Support the progress and growth of the Housestaff with the Creighton Alliance
- Advocate for resident and fellow needs
- Support the growth and inclusion of resident and fellow experience
Advocacy is at the core of HLC. Council members work to support items like:
- Resident Salary and Benefits Advocacy: Meal stipends retention, Maternity/Paternity Leave, Compensation parity
- Resident Unity: Inclusion of resident jackets as a part of the uniform, in addition to White Coats
- Dedicated workspaces at hospital sites
- Wellness and social events
- Community service and engagement
Are you or colleague in crisis?
The Creighton Alliance has multiple resources for your or your colleague.
Maricopa County Crisis Line: 602-222-9444
Crisis Text Line: text HOME to 741741
Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 988
Physicians Support Line: 888-409-0141
Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Available 24/7 to Creighton Phoenix Fellows, Residents, and Staff
- Call EAP: 800-424-4831
- Answer basic screening questions with EAP clinician; request access to Better Help benefit.
- EAP sends "activation email" to set up a Better Help account to begin using service.
- Provide information to Better Help about what your needs are with therapy and provider.
- Better Help will connect you with a provider (within 72 hours) and makes it easy to switch providers with a few clicks on the app, if initial therapist is not a good fit.
- Approved for 8 sessions per presenting issue. 7. Sessions can be done by phone or video through the app with the option to text the provider through the app between sessions, if needed.
Hospital Reporting Hotlines
Valleywise Health: 866-333-6447
St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center: 800-938-0031
The HLC comprises two representatives from each core program at the Creighton University Phoenix Alliance appointed from their respective programs. We provide input into policies on patient care, the community, and decisions affecting the house staff, such as the efficient use of house staff time, salary, and benefits planning. The Council has addressed house staff healthcare and contract issues and worked with the administration on work hours and supervision.
The HLC aims to positively influence house staff wellness by targeting multiple aspects of house staff’s spiritual, physical, multicultural, intellectual, financial, environmental, and emotional wellness. We support this mission by appointing Chairs of Social Medicine, Wellness, Research, and Quality Improvement Subcommittees.
The HLC encourages multiculturally respectful, informed, and educated conversations that address barriers to our education and patient care.
The Chair of the Social Medicine and the Chair’s Subcommittee engages with community partners who improve the social services provided to our patients. The Chair works with the HLC and Creighton University to garner support for a matching fund program.
The Chair of Wellness Subcommittee engages with the Wellness Chairs of every program at Creighton University Phoenix. The Chair works with HLC and other Subcommittees to ensure that all aspects of resident wellness are addressed and that the learning environment of housestaff remains positive and supportive.
The Chair of the Quality Improvement and Research Subcommittee engage with the research leaders at Creighton University Phoenix GME to ensure that house staff have the resources to advance their research and QI initiatives. The Chairs work with their respective faculty committees to provide feedback that advances the services provided to house staff. The Chair also assists with the yearly Research and QI Symposiums.
To be effective, HLC needs the participation and assistance of all house staff members. Each residency program in the Creighton Arizona Alliance has at least two elected representatives on HLC.
Each HLC member meets on the first Thursday of each month. House staff can contact any of their representatives from their residency program to bring topics to the forefront of the HLC meetings or email the HLC executive team directly at HLCcreightonphoenix@gmail.com
Dirk Wristers, MD, Emergency Medicine, PGY3 - Co-President
Ally Jones, MD, OBGYN, PGY3 - Co-President
Ashley Scholtens, MD, Internal Medicine, PGY3
Josh Ulanday, MD, Family Medicine, PGY3
Brett Armstrong, DO, Emergency Medicine, PGY2
Daniel Fu, DO, Family Medicine, PGY2
The Housestaff Leadership Council meets monthly to discuss new business related to residents and provide updates regarding ongoing projects and initiatives. HLC meetings are also an important open forum for residents to give input on new and ongoing issues. House Staff Council meetings occur at noon on the first Thursday of each month. All residents are encouraged to attend meetings to provide feedback to the administration and learn about policy and procedure changes.
Connect on Social Media
Connect with the Creighton Health Education Alliance on social.