Shannon M . Kinnan, MD
Dr. Kinnan is a proud Nebraskan who grew up in the Omaha area. She attended the University of Nebraska in Lincoln for her undergraduate studies and participated in the Humanities in Medicine scholarship program, completing a major in Psychology and a minor in Spanish. She spent a semester abroad in Xalapa, Mexico, where she fell in love with learning about other cultures. During medical school at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, she organized Spanish courses, participated on medical mission trips, and was also the president of the psychiatric interest group. She has served as an associate chief resident and chief resident for the combined Creighton University and University of Nebraska Medical Center Psychiatric Residency Training Program.
Her professional interests include medical student education, Hispanic mental health care, treatment of ADHD, and clinical research in schizophrenia. In her free time, she plays sand volleyball, coaches a six-year-old girls’ soccer team, and stays involved in her church.
- Integrated Psychiatric Care
Research FocusFields of Interest:
Medical student and resident education
Hispanic mental health care
Integrated Health Care (the integration of mental health into primary care)
Reducing narcotic use in primary care
Substance Use Disorders
- Psychiatric Services
Kinnan S, Emerson MR, Kern J, Ratzliff A. How a Health Center Eliminated theWaiting List for Psychiatric Services. doi: 10.1176/appi.ps.201900222. Epub 2019 Oct 16. PubMed PMID: 31615366.
70(12), p. 1176-1179 2019
- Primary Care Companion CNS Disorder
Kolli V, Walia A, Kinnan S. Food Matters: Reduction of Lurasidone-InducedNausea With Meals. pii:18l02343. doi: 10.4088/PCC.18l02343. PubMed PMID: 30869204.
Shannon Kinnan, Frederick Petty, Daniel R. Wilson, “Zolpidem-induced mania in a patient with schizoaffective disorder,” Psychosomatics 52:5, 493-494 (2011).
52:5, p. 493-494 2011
- Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics
"Innovations and recent trends in the treatment of ADHD"
6 (9) 2006, p. 1375-1385 2006
- Improving the 1-year depression remission rate in primary care. 2022
- Improving depression remission at a federally qualified health center: a multidisciplinary approach. 2022
- "Diagnostic Difficulties in a Patient Presenting with Dissociative and Catatonic symptoms," Poster Presentation at the American Psychiatric Association Annual Convention in San Diego, California 2017
- Minimizing Benzodiazapine Use in Primary Care 2017
- “Worldwide Differences in the Regulations and Use of Clozapine, Shannon Kinnan MD, Anita Bansal MD, Alec Del Core, BAPoster Presentation at the Global Health Conference Midwest 2017 2017
- Psychosis in the Primary Care Setting 2016
- Management of Bipolar Disorder, a presentation for primary care physicians 2016
- "Mental Health in Our Church and Community" by Dr. Shannon Kinnan, Dr. Kenzie Mertz, and Dr. Elizabeth Penner for the Midwest Church Security Coalition 2016
- "Denying Admission to a "Suicidal" Patient," Poster Presentation American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting 2016
- "Opioid Prescription Crisis," Creighton University Grand Rounds 2016
- “Treating Depression” Primary care provider education at One World Community Health Center, April 2015 2015
- Discussant for “Mind=Body: Metabolic Sydrome” presented by Sanjeev K. Sharma, MBBS and Shailendra K. Saxena, MD PhD Psychiatry in Primary Care: An Essential Update; Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, NE; February 6, 2015 2015
- “Metabolic syndrome and Mental Illness,” Discussant, Creighton University Psychiatry in Primary Care Conference, February 2014 2014
- “Dual relationships with patients: Behavioral Health Center of Nebraska Lecture, February 2014 2014
- Carol S. Gilbert, MS, Shannon Kinnan MD “Using Prams to Measure Unmet Behavioral and Mental Health Needs in Nebraska” Nebraska PRAMS, CityMatCH, Creighton University, Omaha Nebraska, Poster Presentation 2012
- “Medication compliance of HIV medications in a psychotic patient, an interdisciplinary discussion,” Behavioral Health Center of Nebraska Lecture, June 2011 2011
- “Medical illness in a patient who is incompetent due to mental illness: ethical and legal dilemmas,” Behavioral Health Center of Nebraska Lecture, February 2011 2011
- “Hispanic mental health care in Nebraska,” Creighton University Grand Rounds, February, 2010 and 2nd year medical student lecture, April 2010 2010
- Shannon Kinnan, “Hispanic immigrants with PTSD and MDD following traumatic limb loss: two case reports,” Annual Global Health Education Consortium hosted at the Instituto National de Salud Publica; Cuenavaca, Mexico, April 2010 2010
Scholar in the Health Disparities Research Training Program (2012-2013)
Team member in Plaza Partnership, a NIMH Community Based Participatory Research Grant
Sub-investigator in the NIMH Relapse Prevention Trial
Sub-investigator in Eli Lilly Clinical Trial for Alcohol Dependence
Sub-investigator in Ortho-McNeil Janssen Clinical Trial Paliperidone Palmitate in Jail Diversion