Partnership Research Potential
Your Partnership Unlocks Potential
Research activity at Creighton spans the arts and sciences, law, business and more. Our researchers are known for contributing new knowledge in medical research, interdisciplinary health sciences and policy research, biological and biochemical sciences, neuroscience, economics, and the humanities and social sciences.
Excellence in Undergraduate Research
Creighton undergraduate students begin research projects as early as their freshman year. They enjoy the independence to create original research, with the benefit of accomplished faculty-scholars committed to close mentorship. Students build a portfolio of significant experience and skills to use in any career path.
- Creighton is one of 42 universities around the country to be acknowledged for an emphasis on undergraduate research/creative projects by U.S. News & World Report. Creighton is the only Catholic school included in this category.
- In the College of Arts and Sciences alone, nearly 50 percent of students are engaged in research.
- No. 1 producer of Goldwater Scholars - recipients of the most prestigious undergraduate scholarship in the natural sciences, mathematics and engineering in the U.S. - among Catholic universities over the past 18 years.
- A consistent producer of Fulbright recipients – 21 Creighton students have received Fulbright honors since 2005.
- The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) have named four Creighton faculty members Professors of the Year (2013-2015).
Supported by the Center for Undergraduate Research and Scholarship (CURAS), our undergraduate students and faculty work with many local and national organizations for internship and research opportunities, including:
- Durham Museum
- Elemental Scientific, Inc.
- Henry Doorly Zoo
- Joslyn Museum
- Lauritzen Gardens
- NorthStar Foundation
- Phi Beta Kappa honor society (writing internship)
- Streck Labs
- Union Pacific Museum
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) HS-STEM Summer Internship program
- Creighton received about $21.6 million in external research funding for 2016-2017
- About 59% of funding comes from highly competitive federal awards, including $5 million in NIH grants
- $12.1 million in health sciences external research funding
- $9.5 million in extramural funding for all other schools, colleges and areas within the university
Enhance resources and fellowships for students:
- Student Travel Fund to present research at conferences
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships
- Certificate in Undergraduate Research
Support scholarly research for faculty mentors:
- Summer Faculty Research Fellowship Award
- CURAS Faculty Research Fund
- Endowed Chair in Undergraduate Research
Mary Elizabeth Yeh
Neuroscience major, Class of 2018
"My research [with faculty mentor Maya Khanna, PhD] has helped me figure out which parts of neuroscience most interest me. Plus, research makes medical advancements possible."