Pre-Professional Pharmacy Scholars
As a Creighton student, you are encouraged to take advantage of Student Success, our one-of-a-kind program designed to give you the edge as a student and beyond. Traditional academic advising at other universities focuses on keeping students on track so they can check all the boxes for their degrees (major, minor, core). In contrast, at Creighton, you will receive specialized pre-professional advising through Student Success advisors, who will provide in-depth one-on-one discussions and advising regarding your academic and co-curricular requirements for professional school, as well as guidance through the professional school application process, including shadowing, mentoring and research experiences.
As part of the Creighton Pre-Professional Pharmacy Scholars Program (CCPSP), you will be in good company as you become part of this elite and comprehensive pre-professional program that you won’t find at other universities. CPPSP marries the strength of our undergraduate preparation with the quality of our professional programs on two campuses and online, giving you a powerful and extensive background. You will receive the unique benefits of Student Success and a variety of other advantages, including a guaranteed interview with the School of Pharmacy and Health Professions, a Creighton Pre-Professional Scholars Scholarship, individualized Student Success advising each semester, and more.
Every Creighton student who is interested in pre-professional studies can take advantage of these benefits.
- Pre-Professional Communities: series of workshops, events, classes, presentations, and activities designed to help strengthen the candidacy of students as they prepare for the graduate/professional school application process
- Access to pre-health advisors in the Center for Advising Resources and Support for individual advising meetings
- Practice interviews for professional school
- Personal statement advice and assistance
- Guidance on seeking internship, shadowing, and experiential learning opportunities
- Mentoring program with current professional school students
- Mentorship from the Center for Undergraduate Research and Scholarship (CURAS) to seek research opportunities on campus
Pre-Professional Pharmacy Scholar Benefits
Eligible students must apply and be accepted to the Creighton Pre-Professional Scholars Program (CPPSP) to take advantage of these benefits.
- Assurance of acceptance to the Doctor of Pharmacy program, provided certain criteria for admission and progression into the PharmD program is met, including a successful completion of a progression interview (same benefit as Early Assurance)
- Access to a dedicated pre-health advisor in the Center for Advising Resources and Support for individual advising meetings.
- Networking event(s) each semester with admissions representatives and/or alumni from Creighton School of Pharmacy and Health Professions.
- A minimum of a $20,000 scholarship ($5,000 annually) to Creighton’s Pharmacy Program if a B average is maintained while enrolled in the Pharmacy program. During years 1 and 2 of the program, the student’s undergraduate merit scholarships would apply as well.
- Simplified and discounted PharmCAS application
Consideration Criteria for Pre-Professional Pharmacy Scholars
- Minimum high school GPA of 3.75 on a 4.0 scale
- Completion of one year of high school Chemistry with a B average
In order to be considered for CPPSP, your Application for Undergraduate Admission must be submitted by December 1 of your senior year. A separate CPPSP Application is required, with a deadline of January 10 and must include:
- A completed CPPSP application
- An essay explaining your interest in pharmacy
- Resume outlining experience and extra-curricular involvements
- An interview with a member of the selection committee will be scheduled for select finalists and will be conducted in January prior to your enrollment
CPPSP Applications will be available in the student portal of eligible students.
Requirements for Admission & Scholarship to the Creighton University Pharmacy Program
Requirements to be met in years 1 and 2 at Creighton, in order to continue to the professional curriculum during year 3:
- Students must take all prerequisite/pre-professional coursework at Creighton. College credit/advanced placement prior to high school graduation will not result in ineligibility, however any prerequisite courses taken at other institutions after high school graduation will result in ineligibility.
- Students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of a 3.0, a minimum Math/Science prerequisite GPA of 2.9, and receive no grade lower than a C in any prerequisite course as an undergraduate student at Creighton.
- Students are required to fully participate in the Pre-Pharmacy communities (PRX 100/PRX 200) while while enrolled in the pre-professional portion of the curriculum as a Creighton undergraduate student (years 1 and 2).
- Students are required to complete 40 hours of work or shadowing in a pharmacy setting by the end August 1st of year 2 as a Creighton undergraduate student.
- Students are required to submit a PharmCAS application by November 1st, the year prior to matriculation in the professional curriculum at Creighton.
- Students must successfully complete a progression interview, demonstrating growth in knowledge of the profession and strong communication/interpersonal skills.
- Students are required to pass a criminal background check prior to official matriculation in
the professional program.
- Students must review and sign to acknowledge compliance with the technical standards needed to successfully complete the pharmacy curriculum and practice the profession of pharmacy.
- Any withdrawal from a prerequisite course may impact a candidate’s ability to remain a pre-professional pharmacy scholar. Consult the School of Pharmacy and Health Professions prior to withdrawing from prerequisite coursework.