Art History Major (Bachelor of Arts)
The art history major at Creighton will help you make your mark in the art world. You’ll take a wide range of classes covering diverse historical periods, cultures and media that will introduce you to an array of methods and approaches. Grounded in social and cultural history, you’ll explore everything from the paintings of Michelangelo to ancient Egyptian tombs.
An art history degree helps you learn how to reconstruct the past through the contextual study of visual and material cultural objects, focusing on media such as painting, sculpture, architecture and the graphic arts. You will also explore crafts and minor arts.
A degree in art history prepares you for the future while you explore the past wonders of the world.
As an art history major, you’ll learn:
- How to analyze the historical, cultural and intellectual context of material and visual culture
- How to develop critical and creative thinking, public speaking, research and writing skills in addition to a variety of communication and organizational skills
Students will also have experiential learning opportunities through study abroad, museum and gallery internships, and archaeological excavations.
Along with Creighton’s core requirements, there are 30 credits within the art history curriculum.
Minor in Art History
A minor in art history will give you a basic understanding of the history of visual culture and complements many majors in the liberal arts or sciences.
Creighton admissions are based upon:
- High school GPA
- ACT or SAT scores*
- Extracurricular activities
- Personal statement to demonstrate creative abilities not reflected in your transcripts
- Recommendation from high school counselor
- Honors sections and advanced placement courses will enhance a candidate’s application
*For students who are choosing to apply test-optional, ACT/SAT exam scores are not required at the time of application for admission.
Dates & Deadlines
Applications for the fall semester open on Aug. 1 of the prior year. For scholarship consideration, the earlier you complete your undergraduate application, the better. For up-to-date deadlines, visit our admissions page.
Tuition & Financial Aid
Tuition rates are updated each year. Visit our financial aid site to learn more about the cost of attendance.
Creighton University’s Financial Aid Office administers over $200,000,000 in student aid each year from federal, state, institutional and private sources.