Exercise Science and Pre-Health Professions Degree (Bachelor of Science)
Does the study of the human body and the effects of health and exercise science on human performance fascinate you? If so, consider Creighton’s exercise science degree. The Bachelor of Science (BS) in exercise science and pre-health professions prepares you for a career in physical therapy, occupational therapy, medicine, cardiac rehabilitation, dentistry and other allied health careers.
The curriculum also prepares graduates to become nationally certified by the American College of Sports Medicine and the National Strength and Conditioning Association for employment as certified strength and conditioning specialists, personal trainers and certified exercise physiologists.
Creighton University’s degree in exercise science will:
- Teach all of the ways exercise affects the human body
- Ensure students know how to apply the most current research
- Provide the foundation of knowledge students need to prepare for success in an advanced health professional degree program
Exercise science majors will be eligible to enroll at graduate and professional schools. Approximately 80% of Creighton’s exercise science graduates do so, with past enrolling schools including:
- Creighton University School of Pharmacy and Health Professions
- Creighton University School of Dentistry
- University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Medicine
- Palmer College of Chiropractic
- Virginia Tech Sports Management
- George Washington University Master’s in Public Health
- Cal State Long Beach Master’s in Nutrition
- University of Iowa School of Dentistry
- Duke University
- Loma Linda School of Allied Health Professions
- Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
Creighton admissions are based upon:
- High school GPA
- ACT or SAT scores*
- Extracurricular activities
- Personal statement to demonstrate creative abilities not reflected in your transcripts
- Recommendation from high school counselor
- Honors sections and advanced placement courses will enhance a candidate’s application
*For students who are choosing to apply test-optional, ACT/SAT exam scores are not required at the time of application for admission.
Students who wish to become exercise science majors must have an overall grade point average of 2.75 in 30 or more hours of coursework at Creighton University and have grades of “C” or better in General Chemistry (CHM 203/204 or 205/206) and General Biology (BIO 201/205 or 202/206).
Dates & Deadlines
Applications for the fall semester open on Aug. 1 of the prior year. For scholarship consideration, the earlier you complete your undergraduate application, the better. For up-to-date deadlines, visit our admissions page.
Tuition & Financial Aid
Tuition rates are updated each year. Visit our financial aid site to learn more about the cost of attendance.
Creighton University’s Financial Aid Office administers over $200,000,000 in student aid each year from federal, state, institutional and private sources.
To help make your undergraduate studies at Creighton University more affordable, we encourage you to file the FAFSA to apply for financial assistance. A variety of scholarships are also available.
Exercise Science - Excellence in Leadership (EXSEL)
If you’re in exercise science, you’ll want to get involved with EXSEL. You’ll enjoy educational speakers and philanthropic events such as the American Heart Walk, plus social and networking events to get to know your peers and faculty better, like an annual barbecue for students and faculty.
Exercise Science Internship Opportunities
You’ll have plenty of internships to choose from in physical therapy, occupational therapy, dentistry, medicine, fitness, athletic training, personal training, strength and conditioning and more.
Recent Creighton students’ internships include:
- Nebraska Biomechanics Core Facility
- Stanford University School of Medicine Center for Disabilities
- University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Omaha Physical Therapy Institute
- Prairie Life Fitness
- CHI Health Creighton University Medical Center
- Alegent Creighton (CHI Health) Clinics
- Mayo Clinic Health System
- Victory Therapy Center
- Methodist Hospital
- Going Vertical
- Physiotherapy Associates
- Creighton University Department of Athletics athletic training
Students within the Department of Exercise Science have the opportunity to work closely with faculty on research and may design, conduct, analyze and present research. Current student research areas include nutrition, body composition, gastrointestinal function and hydration.
Graduates have found jobs in such great places as:
- Prairie Life Fitness
- Alegent Creighton Health
- Conagra Foods
- Live Well Omaha