Message from the OB-GYN Director
A Message from Joel Barkley MD, FACOG, Program Director
We train individuals to independently practice full spectrum obstetrics and gynecology as community physicians, academic clinicians, and fellowship matriculants. Our residents learn to critically evaluate medical research, engage in patient advocacy, address healthcare disparities, maintain their personal wellness, and incorporate patient safety and quality improvement into their practice. We accomplish this by offering a broad range of experiences through our two primary teaching locations, Valleywise Health (a public safety-net hospital and Federally Qualified Health Center) and St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center (a private Catholic hospital), under the guidance of the Creighton University Arizona Health Education Alliance. We achieve harmony by incorporating the Jesuit values into patient care and education with ultimate respect for patient and provider autonomy.
Our method involves:
- Training exposure to the traditional subspecialty practices (gynecologic oncology, reproductive endocrinology/infertility, female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery, and family planning).
- Unique clinical experiences in a broad spectrum of clinical practices, including gynecologic ultrasound, refugee health, inter-conception care, transgender health, pediatric/adolescent gynecology, minimally invasive surgery, and menopause care.
- A robust research methodology curriculum and support for resident research projects
- Curricular and clinical activities in quality improvement and patient safety
- Contact with local and national patient advocacy groups for women's healthcare rights
- Fostering an environment of inclusion and equity that celebrates the diversity of our residents, faculty, and community
- A focus on personal health and wellness with protected time devoted to small-group (Balint) discussions, resident-led wellness activities, annual wellness retreat, and scheduled personal time-off.
Our residents are dedicated, hard-working, individuals with strong communication skills and a good sense of humor. We welcome anyone passionate about women's healthcare to apply to our program and consider joining our team.
Joel Barkley, MD, FACOG, Program Director
Danielle Stovaw, MD, FACOG, Associate Program Director
Elyssa Metas, MD, FACOG, Assistant Program Director