Graphic Design and Film (Bachelor of Arts)
Interested in graphic design? Students who pursue a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in graphic design and film from Creighton University receive a well-rounded education in print and Web design, interactive multimedia, video and still photography, typography and animation. Getting your degree in graphic design and film from Creighton will prepare you for a successful career in a dynamic field.
Numerous internship and freelance opportunities help students build portfolios that lead to jobs in public relations and advertising agencies, graphic design firms and businesses and nonprofits. Additionally, graphic design and film majors have the opportunity to work on our award-winning student newspaper, The Creightonian.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for graphic designers is $53,380.
As a graphic design and film major, you’ll be well prepared for a job in your field right after college. In addition, you’ll have strong writing and analytical skills that are essential for pursing a graduate degree in computer science, communication or other fields.
Graphic Design and Film majors may select 1 of 2 tracks:
Graphic Design Track
- The graphic design track prepares graduates for a wide range of careers in the world of design. Students develop expertise in 3D design, motion graphics, and video, as well as in traditional skills such as graphic design and illustration. Advanced courses such as interactive design, web design and animation provide specialized skills that are attractive to employers.
- The filmmaking track teaches the artistic and technical skills required to direct, film, and produce professional-quality videos and documentaries. Opportunities to practice those skills are available through various departments on campus, internships with agencies and film companies, and the award-winning Backpack Journalism program.
- Critical thinking skills
- How to utilize the latest software
- Design techniques for print and Web design, interactive multimedia, video, still photography, typography and animation
- Backpack Journalism
Backpack Journalism is a collaborative effort between Computer Science, Design and Journalism and the Department of Theology. Become a backpack journalist – with a theological perspective – during a study abroad trip. You’ll help write, shoot and edit a socially conscious documentary and contribute to a multimedia blog. “Esperanza,” the first Backpack Journalism project, won several regional awards.
- The Creightonian
- Public Relations Student Society of America
Creighton’s Public Relations Student Society of America brings Computer Science, Design and Journalism students together with professional public relations practitioners and provides career advantages.
Internships are available both on and off campus. Graphic design and media students from Creighton intern at major news organizations, large Fortune 500 and entrepreneurial companies, and advertising agencies in Omaha, across the nation and around the world.
CSDJ majors can apply for financial aid through the department’s generous scholarship program by filling out a simple application for all available scholarships early in the second semester.