Family Medicine Obstetrics Curriculum
- At least 2,500 hours will be spent covering labor and delivery at the CHI Immanuel Hospital working with board-certified obstetricians
- At least 200 hours will be spent providing prenatal and post-partum care at the Charles Drew Community Health Center
- At least 200 hours will be spent providing family medicine care (adults, children, elders) at the Charles Drew Community Health Center
- At least 120 hours will be spent precepting/teaching at CHI Health Creighton University Medical Center–University Campus
- One week of NICU experience with neonatal resuscitation
- Four weeks of operative obstetric care at a rural Nebraska hospital (optional)
- One week of continuing medical education
- Four weeks of vacation
Fellows will meet with fellowship director Matthew Halfar, MD, once monthly to review curriculum and procedural experience.
Fellows will meet with the family medicine department chair monthly to review administrative and teaching experience.
Fellows will be supervised by board-certified obstetricians and maternal family medicine specialists. The Department of Family Medicine will supervise the fellows’ teaching activities and provide administrative support to the fellow, including designation of a fellowship coordinator.
- Fellows will have an academic appointment through the Creighton University Department of Family Medicine
- Fellows will develop a manuscript for submission required for completion of the fellowship
- Fellows will develop a QI project to be implemented at the Charles Drew Clinic, Florence Family Medicine Residency Clinic and/or the Comp OB Clinic
- Fellows will provide supervision and teaching to Creighton University Family Medicine residents
- Fellows will demonstrate competency in the procedural skills required to practice independent operative obstetrics
- Fellows will demonstrate competency in resuscitation and stabilization of the neonate appropriate for delivery of maternity care in an underserved setting
- Fellows will complete the ABFM’s SAM in Maternity Care