Close Menu

Military Dependents & Spouses

Creighton Welcomes Military Spouses and Dependents

We are honored you have chosen Creighton University as your home to achieve your academic and personal goals, and, for many of you, use your VA education benefits. As a military spouse or dependent, you may qualify for:

Creighton offers online and on-campus programs that provide an elite education opportunity for military spouses and dependents. Whether it is your first time taking college courses or you are in search of flexible continuing education options, Creighton is the perfect place for you to realize your goals.

Contact us to start your journey to Creighton.

Transferability Option

Under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33), an active duty service member may transfer some or all of his or her unused education benefits to you. The Department of Defense (DoD) determines if the service member can transfer benefits to his or her family members.

  • To request a transfer, the service member must do so via the Department of Defense website.  
  • Once the DoD approves benefits for transfer, the service member will receive a letter of approval.
  • The new beneficiary (spouse and/or dependent) must then apply to use the transferred benefits from the VA via the Veterans OnLine Application (VONAPP) using VA Form 22-1990e.
  • The VA will send a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) in approximately 2-3 weeks directly to the new beneficiary.
  • Upon your receipt, provide your COE and Creighton Information Form to the Office of Military and Veterans Affairs.
  • The Office of Military and Veterans Affairs will certify your enrollment with the VA. 

To learn more about transferring benefits, visit the DoD website.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at