Economics (Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in Business Administration)
Are you intrigued by how economic issues can make an impact on a national and global scale? As a Creighton economics major, you’ll build a strong foundation in your field with the tools and techniques of economic analysis, provided by this program.
At Creighton, students have the unique opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Arts in economics from the College of Arts and Sciences or a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) in economics from the Heider College of Business.
Economics major will examine financial markets, international trade, economic development, governmental economic activity and more.
With an economics degree through either the BA or BSBA program, you’ll learn:
- How markets determine which goods and services get produced, how they are produced and what the resulting distribution of income and wealth will look like
- How to forecast future economic conditions to better understand and adapt to them
- How to solve specific problems within organizations and economies, such as estimating demand conditions and setting prices
Along with Creighton’s core requirements, there are 18 credits within the economics curriculum.
Minor in Economics
The economics minor provides you with a basic understanding of the discipline’s fundamentals at work through the actions of individuals, firms and governments. You’ll focus on resource allocation, income distribution, production, employment and prices in a market economy.
3/3 Law Program
An economics degree is a popular path toward a legal career. Creighton’s accelerated law program allows students to complete dual business and law degrees in six years.
The Heider Mindset Curriculum
Employers today need agile, adaptive professionals who understand that business can be done ethically and for the good of others. Creighton is paving the way in preparing students with those skills by implementing the Mindset Curriculum. Our courses help students work toward the skills that businesses are looking for, positioning them for success in the job market and beyond. It's part of how we teach students to do well while doing good. The six mindset are: Action, Analytical, Collaborative, Cross-Cultural, Reflective and Service.
Creighton admissions are based upon:
- High school GPA
- ACT or SAT scores*
- Extracurricular activities
- Personal statement to demonstrate creative abilities not reflected in your transcripts
- Recommendation from high school counselor
- Honors sections and advanced placement courses will enhance a candidate’s application
*For students who are choosing to apply test-optional, ACT/SAT exam scores are not required at the time of application for admission.
Dates & Deadlines
Applications for the fall semester open on Aug. 1 of the prior year. For scholarship consideration, the earlier you complete your undergraduate application, the better. For up-to-date deadlines, visit our admissions page.
Tuition & Financial Aid
Tuition rates are updated each year. Visit our financial aid site to learn more about the cost of attendance.
Creighton University's Financial Aid Office administers over $200,000,000 in student aid each year from federal, state, institutional and private sources.
To help make your undergraduate studies at Creighton University more affordable, we encourage you to file the FAFSA to apply for financial assistance. There is a variety of scholarships and financial aid opportunities available for Creighton data science students aimed at making your degree attainable. Explore scholarships.
Omicron Delta Epsilon
- Omicron Delta Epsilon is one of the world’s largest academic honor societies that recognizes outstanding achievements in economics. This society seeks to establish closer ties between students and faculty within the university setting by hosting meetings, panel discussions and speakers throughout the year.
Creighton University Heider Business Senate
- The Creighton University Heider Business Senate is a liaison between the student body and the administration of the Heider College of Business. The Senate promotes the mission and values of the Heider College of Business through various projects.
Beta Gamma Sigma
- This society encourages and rewards scholarship and accomplishment among students of commerce and business administration. Beta Gamma Sigma promotes the advancement of education in the art and science of business and fosters integrity in the conduct of business activities.
Alpha Kappa Psi
- Alpha Kappa Psi is the oldest and largest business fraternity. Become a part of a group that develops well-trained, ethical, skilled, resourceful, experienced business leaders.
- Economic Outlook gives students real-world experience in research and analysis of economic trends throughout the Midwest by assisting Ernie Goss, PhD, professor of economics, with annual economic trends surveys.
- The Heider College of Business economics curriculum focuses on applied economics, offering econometrics, forecasting and sight selection analysis courses.
of recent graduates were employed, volunteering or pursuing an advanced degree within six months of graduation
of business schools worldwide accredited in both business and accounting by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International
Creighton Is Home to the Renowned Institute for Economic Inquiry (IEI)
Creighton’s Institute for Economic Inquiry seeks to generate robust discussions about markets and how economic freedom affects human flourishing. The Institute supports programs, such as student reading groups and research, that analyze economic and social outcomes from a variety of academic perspectives, including economics, ethics and entrepreneurship.