Finance Degree (Bachelor of Science in Business Administration)
U.S. News & World Report ranks Creighton’s Heider College of Business finance program among the top 20 programs in the country. Creighton finance graduates are careful, ethical analysts versed in the development of financial principles in all areas of financial decision-making.
When you earn a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) with a concentration in finance, you’ll gain a thorough understanding of financial institutions, including banking and insurance, business and government and personal financial management. With a finance degree, you’ll be prepared for professional certifications and able to work in a variety of fields.
The Bachelor of Science in Business Administration finance degree prepares students for a choice of career within the multifaceted finance industry.
As a finance major, you will:
- Gain an understanding of financial institutions
- Develop ethics as they relate to financial decision-making
- Learn methods of personal financial planning, estate planning and taxation, and financial analysis and risk management
Along with Creighton’s core requirements, there are 21 credits and four tracks within the finance curriculum:
- Financial Analysis Track
- Financial Planning Track
- Financial Services Track
- Insurance and Risk Management
You’ll be learning from industry experts. Creighton has more Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) faculty with doctoral degrees than any other institution in the world.
A BSBA in finance can help in the preparation for a number of professional certifications, including:
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
- Certificate in Management Accounting (CMA)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Several real estate certifications
- Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU)
- Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU)
- Associate in Risk Management (ARM)
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
Accelerated Bachelor’s to Master’s Programs
Pursuing the Financial Analysis track? You can start your graduate career sooner. Get a head start on your Master of Investment Management and Financial Analysis while finishing up your bachelor’s degree. Learn how to save a year of time and tuition through our Accelerated Bachelor’s to Master’s programs.
The Heider Mindset Curriculum
Employers today need agile, adaptive professionals who understand that business can be done ethically and for the good of others. Creighton is paving the way in preparing students with those skills by implementing the Mindset Curriculum. Our courses help students work toward the skills that businesses are looking for, positioning them for success in the job market and beyond. It's part of how we teach students to do well while doing good. The six mindset are: Action, Analytical, Collaborative, Cross-Cultural, Reflective and Service.
Creighton admissions are based upon:
- High school GPA
- ACT or SAT scores*
- Extracurricular activities
- Personal statement to demonstrate creative abilities not reflected in your transcripts
- Recommendation from high school counselor
- Honors sections and advanced placement courses will enhance a candidate’s application
*For students who are choosing to apply test-optional, ACT/SAT exam scores are not required at the time of application for admission.
Dates & Deadlines
Applications for the fall semester open on Aug. 1 of the prior year. For scholarship consideration, the earlier you complete your undergraduate application, the better. For up-to-date deadlines, visit our admissions page.
Tuition & Financial Aid
Tuition rates are updated each year. Visit our financial aid site to learn more about the cost of attendance.
Creighton University’s Financial Aid Office administers over $200,000,000 in student aid each year from federal, state, institutional and private sources.
in University funds managed by students through the Portfolio Practicum
of recent graduates were employed, volunteering or pursuing an advanced degree within 6 months of graduation
Finance program in the nation per U.S. News & World Report
More than 90% of Creighton business students complete at least one internship during their college career. Internships are an excellent way to “sample” jobs that might become your career focus. Interns gain real-world skills that strengthen their qualifications and give them a competitive edge when applying for full-time jobs later.
Creighton’s finance majors have completed internships at the following companies:
- Bank of America
- First National Bank
- Merrill Lynch
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- Conagra Foods
- Burlington Capital
- Edward Jones
We take your success seriously at Creighton. So seriously that we have designed our Career Portfolio Program around your success as both a student and a professional. Our integrated philosophy of incorporating a balanced, hands-on learning experience with emphasis on ethics and service to others means that as a Creighton graduate, you will have the freedom, conscience, commitment and opportunity to do the right thing extremely well.
Financial Management Association (FMA)
- This national organization is geared toward helping finance students transition from student to professional through guest speakers, corporate tours and information on internship and job opportunities.
Financial Planning Association (FPA) of Nebraska
- Members of FPA refine their professional skills, bolster their resumes and prepare for financial planning internships and careers by meeting and networking with financial planning professionals.
Creighton Investment Banking Society (CIBS)
- With an emphasis on financial programming and networking, Creighton Investment Banking Society enables students to engage with the financial services industry in an environment conducive to learning and professional growth.
Heider Business Senate
- The Creighton University Heider Business Senate is a liaison between the student body and the administration of the Heider College of Business. The Senate promotes the mission and values of the Heider College of Business through various projects.
Beta Gamma Sigma: Business
- This society encourages and rewards scholarship and accomplishment among students of commerce and business administration. Beta Gamma Sigma promotes the advancement of education in the art and science of business and fosters integrity in the conduct of business activities.
Alpha Kappa Psi: Business
- Alpha Kappa Psi is the oldest and largest business fraternity. Become a part of a group that develops well-trained, ethical, skilled, resourceful, experienced business leaders.
- Students have the opportunity to manage the Creighton University Student Portfolio (CUSP) Fund—over $10 million in Creighton endowment monies—through the Portfolio Practicum course.
- In our “Wall Street Week” travel course, students travel to New York City to visit top investment bankers and securities professionals.