Youth Leadership Omaha
Become One of Tomorrow’s Leaders — Today.
Develop leadership skills for a successful future and meet dynamic peers and community leaders in the process through Creighton’s Heider College of Business 2023-2024 Youth Leadership Omaha (YLO) program.
Shapers of Community
YLO is an interactive leadership development program that helps high school sophomores realize their potential as shapers of their communities. Participants engage with Heider students and local business and community trailblazers to gain a deeper understanding of our city’s assets and challenges.
This annual program helps students:
- Build their network of peers and community organizers;
- Gain new insights on how our city works;
- Grow their impact by fostering change in their communities;
- Freely exchange ideas, information, and advice.
Program members will participate in day-long seminars oriented around the following themes to gain a better understanding of Omaha’s footing in each area:
- Justice and Government
- Health and Human Services
- Economic Growth and Development
- Equity, Diversity and Social Responsibility
- Environment, Climate and Sustainability
(Themes are subject to change with notice.)
- August 15, 2023, Tuesday: Application Opens
- September 8, 2023, Friday: Application Closes at 4 p.m.
- September 20–23, 2023, Wednesday-Saturday: Interviews for selected candidates
- September 26, 2023, Tuesday: 2023-2024 YLO Class #28 announced
- October 2, 2023, Monday: Accept/Decline notice due by 4 p.m.
- October 5, 2023, Thursday: YLO Orientation for Class #28 and parents/guardians, 7-8 p.m.
- October 20, 2023, Friday: YLO Opening Retreat for Class #28, 8:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
- November 3, 2023, Friday: YLO Seminar #1, 8:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
- December 1, 2023, Friday: YLO Seminar #2, 8:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
- February 2, 2024, Friday: YLO Seminar #3, 8:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
- March 1, 2024, Friday: YLO Seminar #4, 8:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
- April 19, 2024, Friday: YLO Seminar #5, 8:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
- April 30, 2024, Tuesday: YLO Class #28 Graduation, 5:30 p.m.
While unlikely, dates and times are subject to change with notice.
Established in 1992 as a mirror program of the Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce’s adult Leadership Omaha Program, YLO has a history of bringing together a diverse group of 40 metro-area student leaders each year.
- Abbie Mann, Creighton University Business Student + YLO Alum
- Alexander Cayetano, Senior Director of Leadership Development, Greater Omaha Chamber
- Amy Rector, English Instructor, Metropolitan Community College
- Angeline Larson, Director of Strategic and Business Operations, Children’s Hospital and Medical Center
- Bridget Hadley, City Planner III/Economic Development Manager, City of Omaha
- Brittani Tanhueco, Director of Human Resources, Marriott/The Farnam, Autograph Collection
- Dan Feldhacker, Director of Engagement Strategy, Creighton University
- Jermaine Jones, Chief Career Navigator, Boys and Girls Club
- Randi Bibbins-Clark, Director of Academic Success, Creighton University
- Sherie Thomas, Deputy Chief with Executive Services Bureau, Omaha Police Department
- Van Hardin, Senior Director of Global Business Service Data Management, Conagra Brands
Heider Student Mentors
(TBD by August 31)
Thank you for your interest in applying to Youth Leadership Omaha, Class #28. YLO is an interactive leadership development program that helps high school sophomores realize their potential to be shapers of their communities. By applying, you are showing an interest in building your network, gaining new insights and growing your impact.
Before you apply, it is important that you understand the expected level of commitment. Please read the program description on this website in its entirety before you apply. Check your availability against the program’s schedule to ensure you are available; we are only looking for students who can commit to the entire yearlong program (you need to attend a minimum of 80% of YLO’s events).
This application is open from August 15, 2023 – September 8, 2023.
The application will likely take 40 minutes to complete. To prepare for the application, you can look at the questions that will be asked. This copy will not be accepted as a submission. You must fill out the online application form.
- Within the application, you will be asked to submit the names and email addresses of:
a. Two school or community leaders (teachers, counselors, principals or coaches), who will be emailed a “Reference Form” to complete on your behalf;
b. Your parent/guardian, who will be emailed a “Parent/Guardian Permission Form” to complete on your behalf; and
c. Your school principal, who will be emailed a “Principal Permission Form” to complete on your behalf.
- The application closes on Friday, September 8, 2023 at 4 p.m. All application materials must be submitted by that date and time to be considered for selection. This includes your application, Parent/Guardian Permission Form, Principal Permission Form and two reference forms.
- You will be notified whether you will move forward to the interview process on Friday, September 15, 2023.
- Interviews will be held for those invited from September 20-23, 2023. You will have the option to interview in-person at Creighton University or virtually via Zoom.
- The new class of YLO (Class #28) will be announced on September 26, 2023.
- The selected individuals for Class #28 must either accept or decline the offer by October 2, 2023.
- Mandatory orientation for Class #28 participants and a parent/guardian will be held at Creighton University on October 5, 2023 at 7-8 p.m.