Medical Microbiology and Immunology (Master of Science)
Prepare for the next step in your career as a medical scientist or educator with Creighton University’s Master of Medical Microbiology and Immunology program. Through a combination of coursework and laboratory experience, this master’s program can prepare you for opportunities teaching at the undergraduate level or participating in research in as little as two years.
At Creighton, you’ll have access to the specialized equipment, resources and broad expertise of a large university, but with smaller class sizes. This advantage will allow you to have regular interaction with faculty members and other students in your cohort, as well as additional hands-on training with research equipment and tools in the lab. You’ll be inspired to think critically about pressing topics, engage in conversations about research ethics and spark your creative inquiry. Research at Creighton is mission-driven, making your work part of a larger effort to serve others and create a more just world.
A supportive—and leading edge—environment for research
As a student in the MS in Medical Microbiology and Immunology graduate program, many resources will be available to you. Your professors will work closely with you—guiding your studies and acting as teachers, advisors and mentors throughout your degree and career. Many of our faculty members collaborate and work with students long after they earn their degree.
Creighton's state-of-the-art facilities, such as the BSL-3 biocontainment facility provide hands-on experiences that will help you develop skills to differentiate you after graduation.
Program Goals and Curriculum
Creighton’s MS in Medical Microbiology and Immunology prepares graduates to teach in research-heavy undergraduate settings or become leading scientists in pharmaceutical and biotech companies and government agencies.
To earn this master’s degree, you must complete 30 credit hours:
- Required Courses
- Foundations of Microbiology
- Advanced Microbial Pathogenesis
- Diagnostic Microbiology
- Bacterial Physiology
- Host Defense
- Cellular and Molecular Immunology
- Advanced Immunology
- Molecular Virology
- Advanced Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy
- Current Topics in Medical Microbiology and Immunology
- Department Seminar and Teaching
- Directed Independent Readings: Selected Topics in Medical Microbiology and Immunology
- Directed Independent Study
- Directed Independent Research for Master’s Degree Students
- Master’s Thesis
Creighton’s Medical Microbiology and Immunology faculty are experts in research and teaching that relates to the intersection between microbial pathogenesis and host defense. Faculty works closely with staff, post-doctorates and students in an environment where individual and collective achievement through publications and presentations is encouraged.
- The courses required for the master’s degree serve as the foundation for the PhD program. Additional research and a doctoral dissertation are required to complete the doctoral program.
- Students who have already completed the Master of Science in Medical Microbiology and Immunology program may have a maximum of 30 credit hours transferred to the doctoral program.
- Available on campus.
To be considered for admission to the MS in Medical Microbiology and Immunology program, applicants must:
- Complete an application and submit a $50 application fee
- Possess a bachelor’s degree in a related field with 3.0 GPA or higher
- Include coursework in biological and chemical sciences, and have a strong foundation in microbiology, immunology, molecular biology and biochemistry
- Provide official transcripts from all educational institutions attended. Read more about sending transcripts here
- Include a resume or curriculum vitae
- Submit a personal statement (see application for specific requirements)
- Submit three letters of recommendation from persons other than friends or family members
- Provide a Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score—use code 6121 for this program
A personal interview may be requested in addition to the above requirements. The interview may be conducted in-person or virtually.
International students are welcomed into this program and F-1 visas will be supported upon admission.
International applicants must:
Tuition & Financial Aid
Tuition is waived and health insurance is provided for students accepted into Creighton’s Master of Science in Medical Microbiology and Immunology program.
Have questions? Email or call a friendly financial specialist at 402.280.2731 for any additional questions you may have.
Dates and Deadlines
The table below details the enrollment deadline and starting date of courses for the current academic year. If you have any questions about dates, deadlines, or application materials, please contact an enrollment specialist for personalized assistance.
START CLASSES IN