Innovative Global Programs
Creighton Global Initiative 2018-2019 Program
A Distinct Presidential Initiative
Innovative Global Programs
CGI will continue the tradition of supporting Creighton University's commitment to diversity, global engagement, and social responsibility as compelling educational and institutional priorities to help students and the entire campus engage the social, civic, and economic challenges of a diverse and unequal world. Successful CGI proposals will be those that help create settings that foster students' understanding of the intersections between their lives and global issues and their sense of responsibility as local and global citizens.
Introducing new ideas; original and creative in thinking; fresh; unusual; unprecedented; inventive; ingenious; creative.
Awards will be grants for innovative projects such as guest speakers, a lecture series, course development, recruitment, immersion trips, research initiatives and campus-based workshops, among others. Proposals may be issue-specific, such as climate change, migration, or natural resources, or experiential, allowing participants to immerse more fully into global realities.
CGI success of the past two years has been evidenced in the deepened global engagement of faculty, staff and students. Projects will be sought in the same areas of interest as in the past. However, in an effort to deepen global engagement even further, such projects must demonstrate significant innovation and offer opportunities that have thus far not been available:
- Institutional innovation to prompt a special focus on pressing global issues such as those noted in the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals listed below. These programs shed an interdisciplinary / interprofessional light on them in a new or unique way:
- No Poverty
- Zero Hunger
- Good Health & Well-Being
- Quality Education
- Gender Equality
- Clean Water & Sanitation
- Affordable & Clean Energy
- Decent Work & Economic Growth
- Industry, Innovation, & Infrastructure
- Reduced Inequalities
- Sustainable Cities & Communities
- Responsible Consumption & Production
- Climate Action
- Life Below Water
- Life on Land
- Peace, Justice, & Strong Institution
- Partnerships for the Goals
- Academic enhancement for projects related to research, scholarship and curricular development. The purpose of these proposals is to champion the integration of global learning, advocacy or academic service learning into a course as an exemplar for any academic program, or to provide funds to visit a location with whom a research partnership may be deployed as part of a broader research agenda.
- International immersion and study abroad experiences that integrate Ignatian formation as part of the experiential / immersion program. The purpose of these types of programs are to nurture existing programs or grow new travel programs that explicitly seek to leave the world a saner, stronger, and more sustainable place.
- Impact on Omaha, where campus constituents further understand and engage our neighborhoods, local schools and business, and allow the study and experience of the global to become local. The purpose of these types of projects is to more clearly understand how global events and trends express themselves in the lives of people in Omaha.
- The cultivation of a globally conversant campus for projects that encourage members of our university community to better appreciate, analyze and discuss multicultural realities, expressions of diversity, inclusion, justice or calls for action. The purpose of this type of proposals is to continually deepen Creighton University's identity as a place where we seek understanding of the intersections between our lives and global issues, as well as to mature our sense of responsibility as local and global citizens.
The 2018-2019 CGI application and award cycle is now CLOSED.