Student Technology Requirements
Technology Recommendations and Requirements for Students
All Creighton University students are required to have a laptop computer that meets or exceeds the below requirements. Any additional program/course-specific hardware or software requirements are listed in course syllabi.
|OS: Windows 10||OS: Catalina|
|Memory: 8 GB||Memory: 8 GB|
|Operating System||Windows: 10 (Alternate versions of Windows 10, such as Windows RT and Windows 10 S, are NOT supported)
Mac: Catalina (or higher)
|Display Size||11.6” or higher|
|Processor||Intel Core i5 or higher or equivalent (Windows/Mac)|
|Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Memory (RAM)||8 GB or higher (16 GB or higher recommended)|
|Hard drive||250 GB or higher (SSD - Solid State Drive recommended)|
|Camera, speakers, microphone||Internal|
|Headset/ear buds||With built-in microphone|
|Internet speed||3.0 Mbps upload/3.0 Mbps download|
|Office 365||Free for all students|
Latest version of:
Students are highly encouraged to install Firefox and Chrome in addition to the installed browser.
Latest version of:
*NEW Operating System Updates Notice:
New computer operating systems become available at various times through any given school year. It is in each student’s best interest to verify before updating to a new operating system that all required educational software (exam software for example) is compatible with a new operating system. Sometimes there is a period of time where one must wait to update an operating system in order to continue to be able to complete requirements for class.
All off-campus/distance students are required to purchase their own dedicated home high-speed Internet service at a minimal required speed of 3.0 Mbps upload and 3.0 Mbps download for viewing lecture captures, simultaneous screen sharing and video/audio conferencing.
Test your connectivity level
To test the connectivity level where you will be studying, taking exams, etc., go to http://speedtest.net.
Optional Items (may be required - see course syllabi for details):
- Digital camera, video camera
- USB flash drive
- SPSS software (statistical software)
- Some classes may require web or application services that require a fee
School of Pharmacy and Health Professions (SPAHP) All students in the SPAHP programs are required to adhere to the student technology requirements due to the robust use of learning technologies for both distance/online and campus students.
- Entry-level occupational therapy (OTD), pharmacy (PHA) and physical therapy (PTD) students are required to have digital inking capability. Several models of Windows PCs have built-in inking capability; MacBooks do not. There is no requirement for an iPad. If you own an iPad, several apps are available allowing inking. Please note, you must be able to export/save the document as a .PDF or .docx to submit as an assignment.
- • While Creighton endorses no particular eWriter brand over another, students have had success with the Wacom Intuos Draw (http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-tablets/intuos) for laptops without integrated inking capability.
College of Nursing (CON) All students in the CoN programs are required to adhere to the student technology requirements due to the robust use of learning technologies for both distance/online and campus students.
School of Dentistry (SOD) All students in the SoD programs are required to adhere to the student technology requirements due to the robust use of learning technologies.
- Tablet devices, such as iPad, iPad Pro, Android, Amazon Fire, Chromebook, etc. are not sufficient to support all activities within distance/online programs.
- Virtual operating systems such as Microsoft’s Virtual Machine, Parallels, VMware, VMware Fusion, Apple Boot Camp or any other virtual environments are not allowed.
- Only genuine, U.S.-English versions of Windows Operating Systems are supported
Student Technical Support Information
If you have a technical problem using an application supported by Creighton University, remote technical support is usually handled by a technician over the phone and a request for remote access to the student’s computer may be necessary to diagnose problems. Students grant technicians remote access and are able to watch what the technician is doing while connected on the phone. Before any changes are made to a student’s computer, the technician will explain the change and the reason for the change. The student is responsible for agreeing to allow the change to be made or figuring out a different method or computer to use in order to complete the necessary task with the application, if unwilling to allow changes or remote access to their computer. The student is able to disconnect the remote access at any time and technicians are not able to reconnect a remote session without the student agreeing to the session. Technical support is provided for genuine English-based operating systems.
Located on the second floor of the Harper Center, the iJay Store at Creighton University is the only student-run Apple(TM) Authorized Campus Store in the world. The store offers the must current Apple MacBooks, iMacs, iPads, and accessories. For information on technology purchases and the most current special offers, please contact the store at 402.280.4122 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
As part of Office 365, students receive five (5) free copies of Office 365 to install on personally owned computers and devices. To access, sign in at https://portal.office.com using your netID@creighton.edu (i.e. email@example.com) and your Blue password. Click on “Install Office 2016” button. This will locally install Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and other Office 365 apps – a great benefit as you will not have to purchase Microsoft Office.
- Office Online: The latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, Publisher.
- Installation on up to five (5) PCs or Macs and Office apps on mobile devices including Windows tablets and iPads.
- 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage.