Visiting Scholars Program
Creighton Global Initiative 2018-2019 Program
A Distinct Presidential Initiative
Visiting International Scholar Program
Creighton University is dedicated to expanding knowledge, dissemination and innovation through collaborations with colleagues globally. CGI will aid departments in welcoming and coordinating an International Visiting Scholars program to positively impact and advance education, practice and research globally in all areas of the University. Through collaboration with local colleagues, visiting international scholars will be involved in educational opportunities which exchange training expertise, partner in research, and address global disparities while sharing cultural and professional perspectives which enhance mutual understanding.
The CGI Visiting International Scholars Program provides an opportunity for prominent or emerging international scholars to spend a maximum of two semesters at Creighton University. The core purpose of this program is collaboration in teaching and research, with the belief that visiting international scholars can play an important role in helping us make the CGI priorities a reality: a) institutional innovation to prompt a special focus on pressing global issues; b) academic enhancement; c) cultivation of a globally conversant campus; d) global engagement in Omaha; and integration of Ignatian formation in global learning opportunities.
CGI Visiting International Scholars will be expected to carry out their proposed scholarly work on site on the Creighton University campus in Omaha and to participate regularly in the life in the academic community. Visiting international scholars will have opportunities to meet with faculty members working in their field, and be welcomed and encouraged to participate in faculty colloquia and other campus events. CGI Visiting International Scholars will be co-hosted by departments and the Global Engagement Office (GEO). Each invitation will be unique based on the interests / needs of the department and the Visiting International Scholar. The program of activities for each Scholar will also be developed jointly and will include an articulation of the goals for the Scholar's presence. GEO is responsible to assure that Visiting International Scholars meet federal immigration requirements. Therefore, a formal invitation to a Scholar may not be issued until the Scholar has submitted the needed documentation required for GEO to issue the appropriate visa application documentation (form I-29).
Departments may consider four types of Visiting International Scholars:
- Short-Term Scholar: A professor, research scholar, specialist, or a person with similar education or accomplishments coming to the U.S. on a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training or demonstrating special skills.
- Research Scholar: An individual primarily conducting research, observing, or consulting in connection with a research project... May also teach or lecture unless disallowed by the sponsor.
- Professor: An individual primarily teaching, lecturing, observing, or consulting. A professor may also conduct research unless disallowed by the sponsor.
- Specialist: An individual who is an expert in a field of specialized knowledge or skill coming to the U.S. for observing, consulting, or demonstrating special skills.
The minimum stay for a CGI Visiting International Scholar will be three weeks and the maximum will be two semesters.
Departments may consider inviting a CGI Visiting International Scholar to contribute to departmental priorities in a one or more of the following ways (list is not exhaustive):
- Giving presentations in the scholar's field of expertise;
- Consulting on curriculum renovation / revision;
- Co-teaching a course;
- Collaborating in a research project;
- Mentoring student research;
- Assisting with student recruitment;
- Reviewing and making recommendations on our library collection;
- Assisting with international organizations, events, or other programs on campus;
Visiting International Scholar proposals that contribute to Creighton University's ability to respond to the broad range of United Nations Sustainable Development Goals listed below are most desirable. Because these goals represent a vast span of human needs, we believe ALL disciplines have a contribution to make:
- No Poverty
- Zero Hunger
- Good Health & Well-Being
- Quality Education
- Gender Equality
- Clean Water & Sanitation
- Affordable & Clean Energy
- Decent Work & Economic Growth
- Industry, Innovation, & Infrastructure
- Reduced Inequalities
- Sustainable Cities & Communities
- Responsible Consumption & Production
- Climate Action
- Life Below Water
- Life on Land
- Peace, Justice, & Strong Institutions
- Partnerships for the Goals
Hosting departments / schools will be responsible for providing the visiting scholar with office space, computer (loan), and a guest netID in addition to supporting special needs based on the approved program of activities. Hosting department must also name a primary liaison or faculty mentor for the duration of the visit. Departments will also be responsible for integrating the visitor in the department's daily life. GEO will assist the visiting scholar in maintaining visa status, provide cultural integration opportunities, and assist in the promotion of campus-wide events to feature the visiting scholar's work.
Proposals for CGI Visiting International Scholars will be evaluated according to a) the degree that the program of activities proposed by the sponsoring department meets overall CGI objectives, b) the long-term impact the scholar's presence is expected to have across the University, and c) the strength of the assessment plan for the proposed program.
Departments will collaborate with GEO in the process of determining the level of funding appropriate for the invited scholar. Levels of funding will be highest in the most compelling proposals. Funding will be provided at the following levels:
|Option A||Option B||Option C||Option D|
|Housing costs*||Housing costs*|
Campus meal plan**
Campus meal plan**
Campus meal plan**
|* Housing will normally be arranged at an extended stay hotel (single occupancy) within walking distance of Creighton University.|
** Campus dining plan only, up to 16 meals per week for $119.50
*** Allowance limited to $100.00 per week (CGI does not provide stipends / salaries)
The 2018-2019 CGI application and award cycle is now CLOSED.