Research and Scholarship Activity
2021 Research & Scholarship Activity
The 2021-22 academic year was both busy and fruitful as faculty and students across disciplines combined their skills, knowledge and talents to pursue a variety of important research investigations.
Among these were inquiries into human trafficking, pharmaceutical care, and violence across the lifespan. The following describes those projects and their participants as well as the Creighton University faculty members who led the research activities.
- Begley K, Ryan Haddad A, Pick A, Johnson L, Patterson A, Todd M. Developing an Engaging Interprofessional Short Course to Help Students Identify and Refer Victims of Human Trafficking. Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting. Grapevine, Texas. July 24, 2022. *National meeting presentation
- Barnett S, Gallimore C, Begley K, Van Hooser J. Better Together: Supporting Pharmaceutical Care Skills Through Interprofessional Activities. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting. Toronto, Canada. July 21, 2021. (Moved to virtual) *National meeting presentation
- Patterson A, Johnson L, Begley K, Ryan Haddad A, Todd M, Sedillo T. Multidisciplinary Approach to Educating Future Interprofessional Healthcare Providers on Violence Across the Lifespan. National Academies of Practice Annual Meeting and Forum. March 19, 2021. (Moved to virtual) *National meeting presentation
- Aden M, Begley K, Fuji K, Pick A, Ryan Haddad A, Johnson L, Patterson A, Todd M. Student Perceptions of an Interprofessional Activity Designed to Increase Awareness of Human Trafficking. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting. Toronto, Canada. July 19-22, 2021. (Moved to virtual) *National poster presentation
- Johnson L, Patterson A, Begley K, Ryan Haddad A, Pick A, Todd M, Sedillo T, Dawson A. Development and Implementation of Violence Across the Lifespan (VAL) Interprofessional Education Modules for Health Sciences Students Addressing Human Trafficking, Child Maltreatment, and Intimate Partner Violence. J Interprof Educ Pract. 2021 (In Press)
- Begley K, Aden M, Fuji K, Johnson L, Patterson A, Pick A, Ryan Haddad A, Todd M. Student Perception of an Interprofessional Activity Designed to Increase Awareness of Human Trafficking. J of Allied Health; 2022;51(2):53-57.
- Johnson L, Todd M, Luger S, Banzhaf S, Laughlin A, Patterson A, Black L, Gale J, Begley K. Kruse Endowment for Community Service, and Kruse Family Endowment for Multidisciplinary Service Awards. Laura and Dan Monen Health Center, awarded 2022. Award amount: $3,300.
- Quiben M, Beran-Shepler K, Bender D, Wellmon R, Babin C, Nordon-Craft A, Salem Y. 360 degrees of Excellence in IPE: Making It Sustainable and Impactful in PT Education. Educational Leadership Conference. Educational Session October 2021
- Somers K, Beran-Shepler K, Jensen G Building Bridges: CIPER Drives Innovation in IPE at Phoenix Health Science Campus Heartland Interprofessional Education Conference (HIPE) July 2021
- Beran-Shepler K, Jessen J Interprofessional Education: Do We Know What We are Doing? Innovation Summit for Health Professions Education June 2021
- Beran-Shepler K, Jessen J, Packard K Accreditation and IPE: Where to Start Innovation Summit for Health Professions Education June 2021
- Chair of the National Interprofessional Education Consortium (NIPEC) Committee Fall 2022-present
- Physical Therapy Representative for Interprofessional Education Collaborative (IPEC) Summer 2022-present
- Journal of Interprofessional Care Journal Article Reviewer Fall 2019-present
- Member of Membership Committee American Interprofessional Health Collaborative (AIHC) Summer 2019-present
- Chair of the Communication Committee for the National Academies of Practice (NAP) PT Academy, Fall 2018-present
- Distinguished Fellow in the National Academies of Practice Spring 2018-present
- Lifetime Member of American Interprofessional Health Collaborative (AIHC), Fall 2017-present
- Secretary for the National Interprofessional Education Consortium of ACAPT, Fall 2017-Fall 2022
- Cosimano, A. and Costanzo, C.; Exploring the Use of Health and Wellness Coaching for Nonprofessional Caregivers of Older Adults Living at Home. Creighton University Health Sciences; $50,000 over 2 year time period. Serve as sub-investigator.
- Bahle-Lampie, A. and Costanzo, C. (2022). (Editors), Senior Editor, Moss Breen, J.A. Challenges and Opportunities in Healthcare Leadership: Voices from the Crowd in Today’s Complex and Interprofessional Healthcare Environment Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Leggio, W. J.; Carhart, E.; Bruckner, A.; Crowe. R.; Costanzo, C. (2022). Reduced Emergency Department Length of Stay and Proportion of Patients Who Left Without Being Seen Following Implementation of an Interprofessional Vertical Flow Track With Pivot Triage; Advanced Emergency Nursing Journal: April/June 2022 - Volume 44 - Issue 2 - p 136-143. doi: 10.1097/TME.0000000000000405
National Oral Presentation
- Cochran, T.; Jensen, G., Nickol, D., & Costanzo, C. (2022). Engaging the Academies as a Moral Community: Exploring Moral Injury to Enhance Provider Well-Being Across Our Professions. National Academies of Practice in San Diego, California on March 4, 2022.
- Nordstrom T, Jensen GM, Alternburger P, Blackinton M, Deusinger S, Hack L, Patel R, Tschoepe B, VanHoose L. Crises as the crucible for change in physical therapist education. Phys Ther. 2022;102:1-10. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/pzac055
- Jensen GM. Guest Editorial. Time to Shine the Light. Phys Ther, 2022;102:1–3
- Khalili H, Breitbach A, Jensen G, King S, Maxwell B, Nickol D, Pfeifle A, Gilbert J. Global leadership in IPECP research: an intro to co-creation of best practice guidelines. J Interprof Educ and Practice. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.xjep.2021.100445
- Reilly M, Furze J, Black L, Knight H, Niski J, Peterson J, Jensen G. Development of a Clinical Reasoning Learner Blueprint: A Guide for Teaching, Learning and Assessment. J Phys Ther Educ. 2022;36(1): 43-50.
- Pfeifle A, Jessen J, Jensen G, Hechmer C, Reimschisel T. Teams that work: Modeling and teaching effective collaboration. National Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education. Nexus Summit. August 22, 2022.
- Somers K, Jessen J, Carleton W, Jensen GM. Interprofessional teams and master adaptive learners: What can educators learn? 4th Heartland Interprofessional Education Conference. Virtual. July 21, 2022.
- Jensen GM. Invited plenary. Anatomy Education Research: Rigor, Realism, and Opportunity. American Association for Anatomy. 2022 Anatomy Education Research Institute (AERI). Bloomington, IN. July 13, 2022
- Somers K, Evans J, Jensen GM. Teaching and learning about the Common Good: Is it possible? Innovations for the Health Professions Education Conference. June 23, 2022.
- Cochran T, Jensen G, Nickol D, Costanzo C. Engaging the Academies as a Moral Community: Exploring Moral Injury to Enhance Provider Well-Being Across Our Professions. Workshop at the National Academies of Practice Forum Meeting, San Diego,CA. March 4, 2022.
- Cohen Konrad S, Blackwell M, Jensen G, Pole D. Strengthening Collaborative Teamwork throughout Interprofessional Education, Practice and Research. Keynote Panel presentation. National Academies of Practice Forum Meeting, San Diego,CA. March 5, 2022.
- Jensen GM. Physical therapy education through the lens of the master adaptive learner. 24th Pauline Cerasoli Lecture. APTA Combined Sections Meeting. San Antonio, TX. February 4, 2022.
- Patel R, Blackinton M, Hack L, Jensen G, Altenburger P, Tschope B, Nordstrom T, Van Hoose L, Deusinger S. Developing habits of heart: Using a social reconstruction framework to empower graduates to transform societal health. Educational Session, Educational Leadership Conference. Atlanta, GA. October 23, 2021.
- Piemonte N, Goulet C, Chesbro S, Jensen G, Greenfield B. Panel discussion/Keynote presentation- Cultivating the Habits at the Heart of Patient Care: Compassion, Vulnerability, and Imagination. Educational Session, Educational Leadership Conference. Atlanta, GA. October 22, 2021.
Organizations: Memberships & Offices
- Interprofessional.Global: Global Confederation for Interprofessional Education & Collaborative Practice
- Member 2022-present
- Midwest Interprofessional Practice, Education, and Research Center (MIPERC) Advisory Council
- Member 2021-present
- Texas Interprofessional Education (IPE) Consortium
- Member 2021-present
- American Interprofessional Health Collaborative (AIHC)
- Program Committee – Affiliate Conference Workgroup (2021-2024)
- Member 2020-present
- Nebraska Nurses Association
- Member 2019- present
- Sigma Theta Tau- Iota Tau Chapter
- Member 2018- present
- Association of Operating Room Nurses (AORN)
- Member 2018- present
- Kirkpatrick, A. & Potthoff, M. (PIs) & Jessen, J., Badke, L., Fox, C. & Haneman, L. Moving Beyond the Health Professions: A Collaborative Approach to Advance Care Planning. Funded for $15,000.00 by the Dr. George F. Haddix President’s Faculty Research Fund; April 2022-April 2023.
- Jessen, J., Tegzes, J., & Thuente, L. (2022). Interprofessional Education Curricular Models. Interprofessional Education (IPE) to Better Prepare Health Professions for True Collaborative Practice Series. Des Moines University, virtual, March.
- Pfeifle, A., Jessen, J., Jensen, G., Hechmer, C., Reimschisel, T. (2022). Teams that Work: Modeling and Teaching Effective Interprofessional Collaboration. Nexus Summit 2022: Learning Together in the Nexus: A Focus on What Matters Most. Minneapolis, August.
- Spellman, C., Jessen, J. (2022). Examining Effectiveness of IPE Passport: Are Healthcare Grads Ready to Lead? Nexus Summit 2022: Learning Together in the Nexus: A Focus on What Matters Most. Minneapolis, August.
- Somers, K., Jensen, G., Jessen, J., Carlton, W. (2022). Interprofessional Teams and Master Adaptive Learners: What can Educators Learn? Heartland Interprofessional Education (HIPE) Conference, July.
- Jessen, J., Somers, K. & Manz, J. (2021). Interprofessional Assessment Strategies: Development of an Interprofessional Situational Judgment Test. Nexus Summit 2021: Working Together in the Nexus. Virtual, October.
- Williams, K. Manz, J. Jessen, J. Kirkpatrick, A. (2021). Perioperative Partnership- 3 P’s to Increase Your Perioperative People. AORN Global Surgical Conference & Expo. Orlando, August.
- Jessen, J., Somers, K. & Manz, J. (2021) Interprofessional Assessment Strategies: Development of an Interprofessional Situational Judgment Test. Creighton University Assessment Symposium, Omaha, NE, November.
Awards & Recognitions
- Completion of Masters of Public Health, George Washington University, to be awarded August 31, 2022
- “Interprofessional Panel Discussion webinar”; Amy McGaha, M.D., Anne Schoening, Andrea Thinnes, Colleen Spellman, Patricia Timmons, Courtney Duggan, Joanna Stratton, Elissa Ver Hey, Tina Younger, Cary Moore, Bill Howard, Kristy Keefner; February 17, 2022
- Sponsorship of Distinguished Lecturer from Department—Eduardo Salas
- “Sustainable and Replicable Clinical and Financial Outcomes in an Interprofessional Education and Collaborative Practice Nexus”; Thomas P. Guck, PhD1., Ryan W. Walters, PhD1., Christie Abdul- Greene, LCSW, LMHP2, Joy Doll, OTD, OTR/L1, Michael A Greene, MD1,2, Amy L. McGaha MD1,2 Creighton University1 CHI Health Creighton University Medical Center – University Campus2 accepted for publication to Journal of Interprofessional Care
- "A Medical-Financial Collaborative Care Practice Model to Address Social Determinants of Health in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus" Co-Principal Investigators: Nicole White, PharmD, CDE; Kevin Fuji, PharmD, MA, Co-Investigators: Julie Kalkowski, MSW; Tom Lenz, PharmD, MA; Amy McGaha, MD, FAAFP; Ryan Walters, PhD; Diva Wilson, MD
- “Medica Grant for Maternal Health Equity, $100,000”
Poster and Presentations
- Jessen, J., Somers, K., Manz, J., & Onorato, K., (2021). Interprofessional Assessment Strategies: Development of an Interprofessional Situational Judgment Test. (Poster Presentation). Creighton University Assessment Symposium. Omaha, NE. November 2021.
- Jessen, J. & Onorato, K. (2021). The Application of IPEC Skills Towards a Learner’s Future Practice. Heartland Interprofessional Education (HIPE) Conference, July 2021.
- Johnson., L. Onorato., K (Co-Investigator), Kiscaden, E. (2021). Healing Conversations for the “Sick and Tired” (Creighton University Libraries). National Library of Medicine. $20,000.
- Somers, K, Carlton, W, Jessen, J, Jensen G. Interprofessional Teams and Master Adaptive Learners: What can Educators Learn? Heartland Interprofessional Education (HIPE) Conference. July 2022 (Virtual).
- Somers, K, Evans, J, Jensen, G. Teaching and Learning about the Common Good: Is it possible? Innovation Summit for Health Professions Education. June 2022 (Virtual).
- Banzhaf, S., Iverson, L., Jizba, T., Price, P. & Thinnes, A. (2022) Interprofessional Practice Simulation Exploring Cultural Humility and Social Determinants of Health in the Management of Older Adults Experiencing Complex Medical and Psychiatric Comorbidities. Heartland Interprofessional Education Conference. July 2022.
- Kirkpatrick, A., Thinnes, A., Selig, C., Chapple, H., Iverson, L, Nystrom, K., Shirley, N., Hercinger, M., Jorgensen, D., Janky, G., & Pick, A. (2021). Building interprofessional team competence through online synchronous simulation of palliative care scenarios.
- Thinnes, A. (Investigator),The ReFoCuS Program: An Effective Means for Cultivating Occupational Therapy Fellows’ and Physical Therapy Residents’ Well-Being? $1,992.
- Schoening, A., & Thinnes, A., (Co-Investigator), Measuring Outcomes and Exploring Perceived Benefits of CIPER Associates and Scholars Program. $1,492.
- American Interprofessional Healthcare Association (AIHC) Member and Communications Committee Elected Member.
- National Academies of Practice.
- National Academies of Practice Distinguished Fellow Inductee in Occupational Therapy, March 2022.