- Jason Bartz, PhD, has been appointed chair of the Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Omaha campus. Bartz has been a Creighton faculty member since 2003 and has served as vice chair for the department since 2010. He currently serves as associate dean for academic and faculty affairs for the School of Medicine and is on faculty at the Prion Research Center at Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado.
- Details regarding a recent $2.44 million five-year NIH grant to Dr. Jason Bartz and Dr. Tony Kincaid to look more closely at infectious prion proteins.
- Dr. Ming Chen has received 5-year $1.8 million R01 funding for his research “LincRNAs in Mucosal Defense to AIDS Opportunistic Pathogen Cryptosporidium”
- Dr. Richard Goering was interviewed on local television regarding his publication of research on ”stealth” MRSA.
- Dr. Jason Bartz recently discussed his work on prion proteins and spongiform encephalopathy in an American Society for Microbiology “Meet the Microbiologist” podcast. Dr. Bartz was also recently appointed to the University of Minnesota Chronic Wasting Disease Resource Center as one of 14 international experts.
Recent departmental publications (more detailed information can be found on individual faculty pages):
Tickler IA, Tenover FC, Dewell S, Le VM, Blackman RN, Goering RV, Rogers AE, Piwonka H, Jung-Hynes BD, Chen DJ, Loeffelholz MJ, Gnanashanmugam D, Baron EJ. 2019. Streptococcus agalactiae strains with chromosomal deletions evade detection with molecular methods. J Clin.Microbiol. (in press)
Bourkas MEC, Arshad H, Al-Azzawi ZAM, Halgas O, Shikiya RA, Mehrabian M, Schmitt-Ulms G, Bartz JC, Watts JC. 2019. Engineering a murine cell line for the stable propagation of hamster prions. J Biol.Chem. (in press)
Wang Y, Shen Y, Liu H, Yin J, Zhang XT, Gong AY, Chen X, Chen S, Mathy NW, Cao J, Chen XM. 2019. Induction of inflammatory responses in splenocytes by exosomes released from intestinal epithelial cells following Cryptosporidium parvum infection. Infect.Immun. (in press)
Polvi EJ, Veri AO, Liu Z, Hossain S, Hyde S, Kim SH, Tebbji F, Sellam A, Todd RT, Xie JL, Lin ZY, Wong CJ, Shapiro RS, Whiteway M, Robbins N, Gingras AC, Selmecki A, Cowen LE. 2019. Functional divergence of a global regulatory complex governing fungal filamentation. PLoS.Genet. 15:e1007901
Rudick CP, Lang MS, Miyamoto T. 2019. Understanding the pathophysiology behind chairside diagnostics and genetic testing for IL-1 and IL-6. Oral Dis.
Pandya AN, Prathipati PK, Hegde P, Li W, Graham KF, Mandal S, Drescher KM, Destache CJ, Ordway D, Jackson M, North EJ. 2019. Indole-2-carboxamides are active against Mycobacterium abscessus in a mouse model of acute infection. Antimicrob.Agents Chemother. 63: /3/e02245-18
Bourret TJ, Boyle WK, Zalud AK, Valenzuela JG, Oliveira F, Lopez JE. 2019. The relapsing fever spirochete Borrelia turicatae persists in the highly oxidative environment of its soft-bodied tick vector. Cell Microbiol. 21:e12987
Boyle WK, Groshong AM, Drecktrah D, Boylan JA, Gherardini FC, Blevins JS, Samuels DS, Bourret TJ. 2019. DksA controls the response of the lyme disease spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi to starvation. J Bacteriol. 201: e00582-18
Sigurdson CJ, Bartz JC, Glatzel M. 2019. Ccellular and molecular mechanisms of prion disease. Annu.Rev.Pathol. 14:497-516