Information and Application Process for Students Interested in Coordinating a Trip
While you are responsible for the safety, logistics, and formation of your group, you are also in a unique position to accompany and challenge participants as they experience the world in a new way on a Service & Justice Trip. If you have previously been a participant on a SCSJ Service & Justice Trip and are currently a sophomore, junior, senior or graduate student you are eligible to apply for a coordinator position.
1. Apply Online
Leadership for Service & Justice Trips is a significant time commitment. Your attendance is expected at a number of events and meetings. While a conflict with training/formation does not automatically disqualify you from a position, since we have a finite number of coordinator spots, we prioritize selecting people who are able to complete all the required training.
If you are currently studying abroad but would like to coordinate a Fall 2023 trip, please go through the application process now.
If you will be studying abroad in Fall 2023, but want to coordinate in Spring 2024 please also apply now. You will have to attend some formation now, and will continue the remainder of your formation and training once you return to campus.
Please fill out the online portion of the application and submit it by March 31, 2023. Please plan for 20-30 minutes as there are essays, and you are not able to save your application and return at a later time. If you begin the application, it may be submitted to us even if it is not complete, please plan to complete it in one sitting to avoid duplicate applications.
After completing your application, your application will be reviewed by student leaders (core team) and the program director. You may be offered an interview if you are selected to continue with the process. Interviews should take between 20 and 30 minutes. Interviews may be offered April 3-5.
2. Complete the interview
- The interview is an opportunity for the student leaders and SCSJ staff to get to know you better.
- Anyone selected for coordinator formation will receive an email offer by the evening of April 12.
- Coordinator offers are contingent upon successful completion of Day of Formation, online asynchronous modules (summer) and attendance at 3 Coordinator Meetings (fall).
- Coordinator Formation Spring Semester: Sunday, April 16th 1-4 pm Day of Formation
- Summer Break Blueline Content – The mixture of articles and videos can be engaged asynchronously anytime between the end of the semester and school year.
- After Aug 17th, coordinators that have successfully completed the leadership formation/training will be placed on trips for Fall 2023.
4. Payment (Fall Semester):
- The SCSJ will be accepting the full payment for trips April 18 and 19. We accept cash, check or credit card. Coordinator price for full week trips is $175 and for 5 day Omaha trips is $50.
- The value and average cost for Service & Justice Trips is more than $500 per person. We reduce the price for all through the generosity of donors who support SCSJ fundraising efforts.
- We discount our trips for our student leaders and for students who have demonstrated financial need.
- We encourage anyone interested to apply for need-based student scholarships. The priority deadline for scholarships is April 19, 2023. After that, scholarship applications will be processed on a rolling basis while funds allow. You can apply for a scholarship here.
- Your Service & Justice Trips payment will be refundable for one week from the date of payment. Should you withdraw from the Service & Justice Trips program after that point, no portion of the payment is refundable because costs have been incurred on your behalf to prepare for the trips.
Fall 2023 Service & Justice Trips Dates
|Coordinator Applications Due||March 31||Online|
|Coordinator Interviews||April 3 - 12||By invitation||SCSJ Office|
|Coordinator Day of Formation||April 16||1-4 pm|
|Scholarship Applications Due||April 18||Online|
|Coordinator & Participant Payments Due||April 18 & 19||11 am – 6 pm||SCSJ|
|Coordinator Meeting 1||Aug. 17||8 - 9:30 pm||Skutt 104/105|
|Coordinator Meeting 2||Aug. 31||8 - 9:30 pm||Skutt 104/105|
|Coordinator Meeting 3||Sept. 14||8 - 9:30 pm||Skutt 104|
|General Meeting 1 (includes set up & clean up)||Sept. 7||7:45 - 9:45 pm||Skutt Ballroom|
|General Meeting 2||Sept. 21||7:45 - 9:45 pm||Skutt Ballroom|
|General Meeting 3||Sept. 28||7:45 - 9:45 pm||Skutt Ballroom|
|Send-Off Service||Oct. 5||8:30 - 9:30 pm||Lower St. John's Church|
|Fall Break||Oct. 6 or 7- Oct. 14|
|Reunion||Oct. 19||8 - 9 pm||Harper Ballroom|
|Spring 2024 Coordinator Information Meeting||Oct. 19||7:30 - 8 pm||Harper Ballroom|
Spring 2024 Service & Justice Trips Dates (Save the dates)
|Coordinator Applications Due||Nov. 3||Online|
|Coordinator Interviews||Nov. 6-7||By invitation||SCSJ Office|
|Coordinator Day of Formation||Nov. 12||12-4 pm||Skutt Ballroom|
|Scholarship Applications Due||Nov. 13||Online|
|Coordinator & Participant Payments Due||Nov. 14 and 15||11 am – 6 pm||SCSJ|
|Coordinator Meeting 1||Jan. 18||9-10:30 pm||Harper 2045/2046|
|Coordinator Meeting 2||Jan. 25||9-10:30 pm||Harper 2045/2046|
|Coordinator Meeting 3||Feb. 8||9-10:30 pm||Skutt|
|General Meeting 1 (includes set up & clean up)||Feb. 1||8:45-11:00 pm||Harper Ballroom|
|General Meeting 2||Feb. 15||8:45-11:00 pm||Skutt Ballroom|
|General Meeting 3||Feb. 22||8:45-11:00 pm||Skutt Ballroom|
|Send-Off Service||Feb. 29||9-10:00 pm||Harper Ballroom|
|Spring Break||March 1 or 2 - March 9|
|Reunion||March 14||9-10 pm|
|Spring 2024 Coordinator Information Meeting||March 14||8:30-9 pm||Skutt Ballroom|