Health Insurance Requirements
Insurance Requirements for a Healthy Campus.
Academic Year Waiver
The health insurance plan waiver period for those enrolled for the Fall 2022 semester will remain open through August 26, 2022. Those who did not submit a waiver will be enrolled for annual coverage which terminates July 31, 2023. If you are graduating or leaving the university before the start of the spring semester, your coverage will end on January 31, 2023.
For incoming students newly enrolled for Spring 2023, the waiver site will open upon registration and financial assessments being posted to the tuition account. The waiver deadline for those who are newly enrolled for Spring 2023 is January 20, 2023.
Questions can be directed via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Requirement
To ensure students’ academic success, Creighton requires that all full-time students (Undergraduate = 12 credits/semester; Graduate = 8 credits/semester) be covered by a comprehensive health insurance plan for the entire academic year.
- New and returning students are auto-enrolled in the University-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan.
- The university policy on student health insurance can be accessed in The Creighton University Student Handbook.
- If a student already has a comprehensive insurance plan (see the FAQ section below for requirements), they are eligible to waive the University-sponsored coverage after registering for classes. Students will have access to the waiver process after the insurance charge is posted to their tuition account.
- The annual online waiver process closes on August 26, 2022 (the site will reopen in December for new spring-semester students). If no waiver is approved at the beginning of the fall semester, the student will be enrolled for annual coverage. Students will have access to the waiver process after the insurance charge is posted to their tuition account.
- The premium for the University-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan will remain on the student’s account unless the waiver process is completed before the deadline.
- When the Student Health Education and Compliance Office becomes aware of a lapse in the student’s insurance coverage, the student will be automatically enrolled in the University-Sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan and the tuition statement will reflect a charge for the entire premium.
- Click here to view plan pricing.
Yes, if the plan includes comprehensive coverage.
Contact the customer service line for your insurance carrier to determine the scope of your plan. Some plans have provisions specific to college students, so it will be helpful to mention that this is your circumstance. If you have a comprehensive plan you may waive the University plan.
A comprehensive health insurance coverage plan must meet the following compliance requirements:
- National coverage is included for inpatient and outpatient medical care. (Emergency only coverage does not satisfy this requirement)
- National coverage is included for inpatient and outpatient mental health care. (Emergency only coverage does not satisfy this requirement)
- Coverage is currently active and maintained for the entire academic year and summer.
- Coverage offers an unlimited lifetime maximum.
If your existing coverage satisfies the University requirement (see tab above), you may proceed with waiving the University-sponsored plan.
You will then be asked to upload an image of the front of your insurance card and an image of the back of your insurance card.
When the information is submitted, it will be verified and you will receive a message confirming the acceptance of your waiver within two weeks of submission.
If your insurance is deemed non-compliant with University requirements you will receive notification that your waiver application was declined and you will be enrolled and charged for the coverage offered through the University.
The student health insurance charge will come off of your tuition account within 2-3 business days of waiver approval.
Check your Creighton Email address often!
All registered undergraduate students enrolled in 12 or more credit hours and graduate/professional students taking 8 or more credit hours are automatically enrolled for this insurance plan.
Eligible students who enroll may also insure their dependents. Eligible dependents are the student’s legal spouse and dependent children under 26 years of age.
- You can enroll dependents once you have created your account.
- If you wish to access your insurance materials and access your account prior to the end of the waiver period, please go to the waiver site and choose the opt-in tab and follow the prompts.
- Any student who is in need of health insurance coverage may submit a request for coverage to email@example.com.
Creighton University requires health insurance. Dental and vision are available, but not required.
UnitedHealthcare offers dental and vision insurance that can be purchased by students. More information is available at uhcsr.com/creighton or by calling 1-800-767-0700.
Yes. Your family may be eligible for COBRA coverage. COBRA coverage is expensive and you must enroll within 31 days to avoid a lapse in coverage. Another option is to enroll in our University-sponsored Creighton Student Health Insurance plan.
Please ensure the size of the file that you uploaded is less than 8MB in size.
If you continue to have issues, please try completing the form using a different browser.
If you continue to encounter difficulty, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
The waiver period closes August 26, and an enrollment message will be emailed to you in the days after. If you wish to access your card and account information before that, click on the link to waiver site and choose “Opt In.”
Click on the link to waiver site and choose “Opt In.” In the days following your submission, you will receive a welcome email with directions on how to set up your account. You will be able to enroll dependents through your UHCSR account.
Students in need of summer health insurance coverage are welcome to submit an enrollment form for the University-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan which can be accessed here. Summer coverage commences on June 1, 2022 and terminates on July 31, 2022.
Creighton Student Health Insurance Plan
If you need health insurance, our University-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan is here for you. The plan is designed specifically for today’s college student and his/her dependents and provides cost-effective comprehensive coverage.
Those who have recently lost health insurance coverage may be eligible for enrollment. Inquiries may be directed to email@example.com.