Accounting MAC (Master of Accounting)
The Master of Accounting (MAC) program from Creighton University's Heider College of Business ensures that you’ll gain a broad understanding of the accounting profession, what it stands for and what it means to become an accounting professional. You’ll be poised to contribute toward the advancement of ideals in the field with instruction accredited by the Accounting Accreditation Committee of the AACSB.
Taking the initiative to gain professional development in the accounting field can open new career paths for you. If you’re interested in earning your CPA or other professional accounting designation, a Master of Accounting from Creighton can help you get there. We’ll design your journey around the knowledge and requirements you need to sit for the CPA or other professional exam.
Position Yourself for Success
Creighton's Business Programs are ranked in the top 25% in the country. According to a survey conducted by Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI), employment of accountants and auditors is projected to grow 11.5% over the next ten years. With 42% of employers surveyed reporting plans to hire Master of Accounting graduates, earning your graduate degree from Creighton can give you a competitive edge in the job market.
Program Goals and Curriculum
The Master of Accounting (MAC) program is a non-thesis graduate accounting program designed for students seeking an individualized, intensive accounting education that will prepare them to seek CPA certification.
To earn the Master of Accounting degree at Creighton University, you must complete 30 credit hours.
Core courses include:
- Advanced Managerial Accounting
- Advanced Financial Accounting
- Advanced Auditing
- Advanced Taxation
- Current Issues in the Accounting Profession
- Research and Analysis of Ethical Issues in the Accounting Profession
Our respected faculty at Creighton strives to help students in the accounting master’s program strengthen their skills, expand their knowledge and work to achieve their goals.
If you aren’t ready to commit to a master’s degree program, you have an opportunity to expand your skills through the Business Analytics Graduate Certificate program.
Certificate in Business Analytics (15 credits)
- Work on projects that involve real-world data sets, develop basic data-driven models, and obtain a basic understanding of analytics by earning the Graduate Certificate in Business Analytics.
- Available Online
To be considered for admission to the Master of Accounting (MAC) program, applicants must:
- Complete an application and submit a $50 application fee
- Possess a bachelor’s degree with 3.0 GPA or higher
- Provide official transcripts from all educational institutions attended. Read more about sending transcripts.
- Provide proof of completed coursework in external financial reporting issues, managerial accounting for decision-making, principles of taxation, auditing and accounting information systems
- Include a resume or curriculum vitae
- Submit a personal statement: 300-500 words that explains why you’re interested in Creighton and this program in particular, as well as what you plan to do with your degree
- Submit two letters of recommendation from persons other than friends or family members
- Provide a GMAT score, if required
A personal interview may be requested in addition to the above requirements. The interview may be conducted in-person or virtually.
International students are welcomed into this program and F-1 visas will be supported upon admission.
International applicants must:
- Meet English language proficiency requirements
- Complete and submit a Certification of Available Finances Form through the Global Engagement Office if admitted
Tuition & Financial Aid
Tuition rates change in the fall of each year. Visit financial aid site for more details.
To help make your graduate studies at Creighton University more affordable, we encourage you to file the FAFSA to apply for financial assistance. We also encourage you to apply for available graduate student scholarships and fellowships.
Have questions? Email or call a friendly financial specialist at 402.280.2731 for any additional questions you may have.
Dates and Deadlines
The table below details the enrollment deadlines and starting dates of courses for the current academic year. If you have any questions about dates, deadlines, or application materials, please contact an enrollment specialist for personalized assistance.
START CLASSES IN
Obtaining the CPA license is a two step process involving education and experience. The accounting programs within the Heider College of Business meet the statutory and regulatory education requirements to sit for the CPA examination in the State of Nebraska, and through advising, the specific educational requirements to sit for the CPA examination imposed by the remaining 54 jurisdictions that oversee the practice of public accounting. Licensure as a CPA following completion of the CPA examination depends upon meeting varying amounts of supervised experience as stipulated by each of the 55 jurisdictions. In some states licensure also requires additional educational requirements beyond those needed to sit for the CPA exam. In those situations, the accounting programs within the Heider College, through advising, meet those additional expectations.
In addition to preparing you for state licensure, students enrolled in Creighton’s Master of Accounting program have the unique opportunity to also obtain a graduate certificate in Business Analytics. By taking your four elective courses in business analytics, you’ll earn both certifications in the same amount of time. With accounting firms seeking out students with a background in analytics, this certificate is in high demand and can help you stand out in your field.