Interdisciplinary Leadership EdD Degree (Doctor of Education)
The online Doctor of Education in Interdisciplinary Leadership (EdD) from Creighton University is a unique educational experience that has been specifically designed to help aspiring leaders affect lasting and meaningful change in their communities, workplaces and beyond. This degree program uses leading-edge approaches to offer a values-based curriculum focused on developing ethical leaders who positively impact the world.
This online EdD program combines Creighton University’s values-based, Jesuit principles that focus on the mind, body and spirit of the individual by purposefully bringing together professionals from diverse backgrounds. Our interdisciplinary leadership faculty create a tightly knit cohort environment in which you will have the resources, support and flexibility to discover and achieve your true potential together with your cohort, as well as through self-reflective practices and research on personal projects.
The rigorous, high-quality education received in this research-based program will provide you with adaptable knowledge and leadership skills to pursue a successful career in education administration, business, health care, criminal justice, government—or any industry where your talents and passions are needed. Learn more in our blog article "Is an EdD in Leadership Worth it? Graduates Share Their Stories."
EdD Program Mission Statement
The interdisciplinary leadership program is a challenging, practitioner- and research-based doctoral degree for professionals looking to make a change in themselves, their communities and the world.
The Creighton online Education Doctorate (EdD) in Interdisciplinary Leadership is committed to developing ethical leaders through a values-based, practitioner-led learning approach so you can be equipped with the transformative skills and leadership approach you need to positively impact the world.
- We believe leadership is practiced in both obvious and subtle ways by anyone willing to help (Lowney, 2003; Wheatley, 2006).
- We believe in preparing individuals to work for and with others by fostering a rich interdisciplinary learning environment.
- We believe in preparing individuals to embrace complexity by practicing self-reflection, an openness to diversity, and the integration of Ignatian values.
- We are diverse in the life experiences, ways of thinking, and knowledge base that faculty, staff, and students bring to the program.
- We are reflective scholar-practitioners focused on modeling the leadership our communities and workplaces need today and in the future.
- Alongside critical thinking and social science methodologies, we use innovative, leading edge education approaches such as the emerging approach of interdisciplinary leadership, adult learning theory, and dissertations in practice to prepare individuals to work across differences to address complex problems.
A diverse and successful network of peers and faculty
Students in Creighton’s online EdD program in Interdisciplinary Leadership come from all over the world. Through the flexibility of online learning with minimal residency requirements, you’ll be able to grow a close network and develop strong relationships with other students and faculty. You are not alone in this program. While you learn, you’ll find this diverse academic unit comprised of different backgrounds and industries creates a rich learning community that shares perspectives and insight in a supportive, learning environment. From faculty to technical support, you will have what you need to be successful. Together you’ll create an experience no other program can match.
Leah Georges, PhD | Associate Professor and Program Director, Graduate School
“We're known for our scholarship, research and teaching—but also for meeting students where they are, wherever they are in their dissertation and their research and education journeys.”
The Doctor of Education in Interdisciplinary Leadership program is 60 credit hours. The online experience includes minimal residency requirements. You’ll complete a selection of electives, research and dissertation courses plus Core Curriculum. These include:
- Leadership Styles and Reflective Practice
- Leadership and Applied Ethics
- Seminar in Interdisciplinary Leadership
- Program Orientation and Residency
- Social Justice and Leadership
- Organizational Theory and Behavior
- Administrative and Policy Leadership Issues
- Systems Thinking and Leadership
The Creighton EdD program’s interdisciplinary cohort approach allows you to build relationships that last long after the program ends. Experienced faculty bring real-world knowledge and backgrounds in business, health, education, law, and the arts and sciences. Online flexibility means you have the freedom to focus on your education on your own schedule and balance your education with work and life. You’ll receive a robust interdisciplinary education, expand your professional network with a thriving alumni community and boost your career advancement. Learn more in our blog post “How a Doctorate in Leadership Can Help You Make a Difference in Any Industry.”
degrees conferred in 2021-2022
states and the District of Columbia represented in the program
countries represented in the program
students enrolled in the program in 2021-2022
- Personal statement
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts from all graduate-level coursework
- Master’s degree or equivalent professional degree
- Writing Sample (EdD Writing Exercise)
- Personal Interview (per request of admissions committee)
- Additional requirements for international students
Due to residency requirements, international students may face difficulties in this program, but are welcome to apply. Please work directly with your enrollment specialist to discuss your situation and how Creighton can support you.
International applicants must meet English language proficiency requirements
Tuition & Financial Aid
Tuition rates change in the fall of each year. View the tuition and fees for this program.
To help make your graduate studies at Creighton University more affordable, we encourage you to file the FAFSA to apply for financial assistance. We also encourage you to apply for available graduate student scholarships and fellowships.
Have questions? Email or call a friendly financial specialist at 402.280.2731.
Recent Doctorate in Interdisciplinary Studies Blog Articles
How a Doctorate in Leadership Can Help You Make a Difference in Any Industry
Find out how Creighton University’s online Doctorate in Leadership can prepare ethical leaders capable of making a difference in any industry.
Is an EdD in Leadership Worth It? Graduates Share Their Stories
Learn from two successful Creighton University graduates who prove that earning an EdD in Leadership is worth it.
EdD vs. PhD: Which Degree Will Help You Make A Difference?
Which doctorate will help you achieve your personal and professional goals? Find out the differences between a Doctor of Education (EdD) and a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD).
Dates and Deadlines
The table below details the enrollment deadlines and starting dates of courses for the current academic year. If you have any questions about dates, deadlines, or application materials, please contact an enrollment specialist for personalized assistance.
START CLASSES IN
Accreditation is one of the most important ways that Creighton University demonstrates the level of quality at our institution.
Creighton University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission (HLC). Accreditation serves the public by assuring and continuously improving the quality of higher education. HLC oversees the accreditation of degree granting, post-secondary, not-for-profit and for-profit institutions.