Spiritual Direction and Directed Retreats (Graduate Certificate)
Creighton University’s Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction and Directed Retreats (SDDR) offers a transformative experience of reflection, prayer, worship, community and study that cultivates a deep knowledge and personal appropriation of Christian Spirituality in the Ignatian tradition.
Grounded in the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola, the SDDR Certificate forms students to be certified spiritual directors using the contemplative-evocative method. The certificate includes a nine-month, directed practicum experience with supervised spiritual direction and retreat formation. You will cultivate an apostolic spirituality and personal renewal that will help you respond creatively and faithfully to the many urgent issues facing church and world in the twenty-first century.
Creighton offers guaranteed tuition discounts for this mission-centered program. The program addresses one of the four universal apostolic preferences of the Society of Jesus, namely to "show the way to God through the Spiritual Exercises and Discernment."
Apply what you learn to your life and to ministering to other
This program will give you opportunities to gain a deeper understanding of Christian Spirituality and integrate this learning with your own experience. You will be encouraged to internalize what you learn and apply it to your own life through careful methods of Ignatian discernment. Upon graduation, you will join a highly diverse alumni community of nearly 1,000 students in over forty states and fifteen countries.
Dedicate some time to self-reflection and prayer
The Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction and Directed Retreats is typically completed over the course of three summers. Students pursue in-person courses during the annual four-week summer term and learn in community with Cristian Spirituality Program (CSP) students from around the world. Online courses are also offered during the fall and spring semesters. To be admitted to the SDDR Certificate, you must have a history of regular spiritual direction and be at least 30 years of age.
Creighton Christian Spirituality Program Eight-Day Retreat
Creighton's Christian Spirituality Program conducts an eight-day silent directed retreat to contemplate, relax and enjoy God's work. The retreat is hosted at Creighton University's Retreat Center located near Griswold, Iowa. The directors of the retreat are CSP graduate students trained in the evocative-contemplative approach of spiritual direction and supervised by experiences spiritual directors. The retreats are open to the public.
2023 Eight-Day Retreat Date: Tuesday, May 30 to Thursday, June 8
For questions about the retreat or other non-admissions related questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
New 2023 Summer Schedule: New and returning student orientation will be held on Friday, June 9. A single, four-week term with three-credit classes will run from Monday, June 12 through Saturday, July 8. Creighton will also offer an optional one-week term with one-credit classes from Monday, July 10 through Saturday, July 15.
The Creighton University Retreat Center supports and fosters an active prayer life. Deepen your connection with God.
Program Goals and Curriculum
The Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction and Directed Retreats is ideal for anyone over the age of 30 who wishes to become a professional Spiritual or Retreat Director. Students can apply what they learn to ministry and life.
To earn this certificate, you must complete 18 credits:
- Introduction to Counseling for Spiritual Directors
- The Theology of The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
- Discernment of Spirits: Theory and Practice
- Pre-Practicum in Spiritual Direction and Directed Retreats
- Post-Practicum in Spiritual Direction and Directed Retreats
- Prayer course requirement
- Practicum in Spiritual Direction and Practicum in Directed Retreats
Creighton University's Theology Department faculty has a number of scholars and teachers who are nationally and internationally recognized for their excellence in teaching and research. The Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction and Directed Retreats draws on this body of faculty to develop spiritual leaders in the Jesuit tradition.
To be considered for admission to the Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction and Directed Retreats program, applicants must:
- Complete an application
- Include an updated curriculum vitae or resume
- Provide an official transcript from the institution that granted the Bachelor’s degree. Read more about sending transcripts here
- Submit a personal statement of interest in the graduate certificate
- Have 12 recent credits in undergraduate or graduate theology and two years of regular spiritual direction
- Currently be receiving regular spiritual direction and share the spiritual goals of the program
- Submit three letters of recommendation from persons other than friends or family members who can speak to your life of faith and prayer
- Be at least 30 years of age
- Complete an eight-day silent, directed retreats preferably before beginning classes
A personal interview may be requested in addition to the above requirements. The interview may be conducted in-person or virtually.
International students are welcomed into this program and F-1 visas will be supported upon admission for the on-campus summer requirements.
Tuition & Financial Aid
Creighton University awards all Spiritual Direction and Directed Retreats students 50% tuition discount from the standard graduate school tuition. This discount is reflected on the financial aid page. Tuition rates change in the fall of each year. Visit our financial aid page for more details. Students must apply and be accepted for scholarship assistance by January 15.
To be considered for scholarship assistance for the upcoming academic year, new students must apply and be accepted to the program by January 15. Students must reapply for scholarship support each year.
Summer Housing and Meals
Housing is available for students attending on-campus residencies in the summer. This housing consists of a shared suite that includes two private bedrooms, a shared bathroom, a small common living space with some furniture, a microwave and a small refrigerator.
To help make your graduate studies at Creighton University more affordable, we encourage you to file the FAFSA to apply for financial assistance. We also encourage you to apply for available graduate student scholarships and fellowships.
Still have questions? Email or call a friendly financial specialist at 402.280.2731 for any additional questions you may have.
Dates and Deadlines
The table below details the enrollment deadlines and starting dates of courses for the current academic year. If you have any questions about dates, deadlines, or application materials, please contact an enrollment specialist for personalized assistance.
START CLASSES IN
Additional Certificate & Master's Degree Options
Graduate Certificate in Ignatian Tradition (9 credits)
- Immerse yourself in the theology and history of the Ignatian tradition. Perfect for anyone employed by a Jesuit university, high school, refugee service, or other institution, this graduate certificate includes a 10-day travel course to Ignatian places of northern Spain, Paris and Rome. This trip incorporates the elements of personal prayer and reflection.
- Credits earned for this graduate certificate can be applied toward a Master of Arts in Christian Spirituality degree.
- Available in a hybrid format.
Master of Arts in Christian Spirituality (33 credits)
- The credits you earn in the Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction and Directed Retreats program serve as the foundation for the Master of Arts in Christian Spirituality program.
- Further enrich your understanding of Scripture, the Ignatian tradition, and the Christian faith through our Christian Spirituality master’s program.