Psychiatry Residency Application Process
The Creighton Psychiatry Residency participates in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS), which is supported by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). Applications will only be accepted through ERAS.
For U.S. graduates, the minimum eligibility requirements to enter the program include graduation from a medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) or the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine.
A graduate of a foreign medical school must be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates and demonstrate proficiency in the English language.
We are pleased that you are interested in applying for residency in the Creighton Psychiatry Residency Program. The criterion for applications is as follows:
- Three letters of reference are required. Letters of reference should support your qualifications for a career in psychiatry. It is important to have American experience in psychiatry with a reference letter from that site. Letters from U.S. or Canadian physicians who have observed your professional performance are easier for us to verify; therefore, we encourage you to provide ERAS with the names of U.S. and Canadian physicians who know you professionally and personally.
- We prefer an average USMLE score of 220 with no fails for those candidates who have a numerical score. Candidates with failures in any of the Steps or CS are unlikely to be considered. This is an area that has become extremely competitive over the past few years. USMLE Step 1, 2 (and CS, if applicable) results must be part of your ERAS file to be considered for interview. If you have been out of medical school for more than 12 months, Step 3 must be completed, and the score submitted with your application. Similarly, if you have gone through the Match previously and did not Match, you must have Step 3 completed and the results included in your application.
- We support the J-1 Visa. We cannot accept H-1 visas.
- We are seeking candidates who have completed medical school in the last 12 months. Unless the candidate has exceptional, demonstrated promise, candidates who have been away from formal training or the practice of medicine for more than one year are unlikely to be considered.
- Deadline for applications is October 15.
Once the completed application and supporting documents are received through ERAS, your application will be reviewed for a possible invitation to interview.