Apply Now: Service & Justice Trips
Spring Break 2024
We are delighted to be planning for this coming break! In order to work with our great host partners, we ask students to apply the semester before they plan to participate in a Service & Justice Trip.
Online Application: Step 1
- In addition to the standard information that most applications ask for, the online application has several brief essays and asks applicants to rank social justice issues they might be interested in learning about on a trip.
- The application takes about half an hour, please plan accordingly. It does not allow you to save and come back to it, so please draft your answers in a word document if you cannot finish in one sitting.
- All applications are for the general Service & Justice Trips Program and not for a specific site. We will consider your preferences, but we can offer no placement guarantees.
- Applications for incoming students are due by Nov. 15, 2023 (11:59 pm).
- All applications and acceptances are conditional. If you do not go through the interview process or make an on-time payment, you will be moved to our waitlist.
Payment: Step 2
- The price of the Service & Justice Trips is $325 for full-week trips and $185 for 5-day trips.
- We are able to make this possible due to the generosity of donors who support SCSJ fundraising efforts.
- To streamline the process of collecting payments, the SCSJ will accept the fee for your Service & Justice Trip on either Nov. 14 or 15 by check, cash or credit card in the SCSJ in Upper Brandeis Suite 202 or by phone 402-280-1290.
- Your Service & Justice Trips payment will be refundable for one week from the payment date. Should you withdraw from the Service & Justice Trips program after that point, no portion of the payment is refundable because costs have been incurred on your behalf to prepare for the trips.
- There are need-based student scholarships available. Awards are processed as received on a rolling basis, the final deadline is Nov. 13. Payment plans are also available to make trips accessible.
Interviews: Step 3
- The second part of the application process is a group interview. We will offer two interview options: Thursday November 16 7-8 pm or 8:30-9:30 pm. Interviews are relatively informal, and there is no need to dress up. We ask everyone interviewing for Service & Justice Trips to read the brief article "In the Service of Life" before their interview.
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the interview process.
- If you will be under 19 years old at any point during the trip, please download the “Under 19 Parent Consent Form." You and a parent or guardian must both sign the document and return it before the time of your trip. You can e-mail it to email@example.com, or fax it to the SCSJ at 402.280.1259.
- Participants will find out where they are going on their trips at the first General Meeting.
- Our coordinators are of all ages, sophomores through seniors, and a few graduate students.
- Before the break, each Service & Justice Trip participant must complete Creighton’s Children and Vulnerable Adults training and Creighton’s Van Safety Training.
- The formation meetings listed below are mandatory. If you miss more than one of the General Meetings, we will re-evaluate your participation in the program. You will likely be asked to withdraw from the program and go on a trip in a future semester when you can attend the formation meetings.
Important Dates: 2024 Spring Break Service & Justice Trips (save the dates!)
|Application Deadline||Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2023||by midnight||Online Application|
|Scholarship Applications Due||Monday Nov. 13||Online Application, awards rolling as received|
|Payment Days||Tuesday, Nov. 14 & Wednesday, Nov. 15||11 am - 4 pm||SCSJ Office in Upper Brandeis Hall, we accept cash, check or credit card (you can pay with a credit card by phone 402-280-1290)|
|Small Group Participant Interviews||Thursday, Nov. 16th 7-8 pm or 8:30-9:30 pm||Choose one. Calendar invite will be sent. Skutt Student Center Ballroom|
|General Meeting 1||Thursday Feb. 1||8-9:30 pm||Harper Ballroom - meet your group and learn about your host partner|
|General Meeting 2||Thursday Feb. 15||8-9:30 pm||Skutt Ballroom|
|General Meeting 3||Thursday Feb. 22||8-9:30 pm||Skutt Ballroom|
|Group Bonding||TBA||TBA||find out more from your small group|
|Send Off Service||Thursday Feb. 29th||8-9 pm||TBA|
|Spring Break 2024||Leave Friday March 1 or Saturday March 2||All groups return Saturday March 9|
|Reunion||Thursday March 14th||8-9:30 pm||Skutt Ballroom|
Important Dates: 2024 Fall Break Service & Justice Trips
|Send Off Service||Thursday||8-9 pm|
|Fall Break 2024||Leave Friday||All groups return Saturday|
|Reunion||Thursday Oct.||8 - 9 pm|