Application Process for Participants
Below is the application process for Service & Justice Trips participants. Please follow the instructions carefully.
*If you are interested in applying as a trip coordinator, that information can be found on the Coordinator Application Page.
Fall Break 2022
- In addition to the standard information that most applications ask for, the online application also has several brief essays and asks applicants to rank social justice issues they might be interested in learning about on a trip. The application takes about half an hour, please plan accordingly.
- All applications are for the general Service & Justice Trips Program and not for a specific site. We will take into consideration your preferences but we can offer no placement guarantees.
- Applications by current students will be accepted until Tuesday April 19 or until spots are filled.
- Applications by current students after April 19 or after the spots are filled will be placed on a waiting list. We will communicate with wait-list applicants in August about space in the program.
- All applications and acceptances are conditional. If you do not go through the interview process in April, or make an on-time payment in August, you will forfeit your spot and it will be filled by someone on the wait list.
- If you are a first year student, we have held spaces for you! Please apply by August 23rd!
- The second part the application process is a 30 minute group interview. We will be offering two interview times on April 21st. Interviews are relatively informal and there is no need to dress up. We ask all people interviewing for Service & Justice Trips to read the brief article, ”In the Service of Life” before their interview.
- E-mail RJ Toledo if you have questions about the interview process.
- The price of the Service & Justice Trips $300 for full-week trips, and $175 for 5 day trips. We are able to make this possible due to the generosity of donors who support SCSJ fundraising efforts.
- In order to streamline the process of collecting payments, the SCSJ will accept the fee for your Service & Justice Trip August 22 and 23. Your Service & Justice Trips payment will be refundable for one week from the date of payment. Should you withdraw from the Service & Justice Trips program after that point, no portion of the payment is refundable because costs have been incurred on your behalf to prepare for the trips.
- There are a limited number of need-based student scholarships available. The priority deadline for scholarships is August 12, 2022 . After that, scholarship applications will be processed on a rolling basis while funds allow. You can apply for a scholarship here.
- If you will be under 19 years old at any point during , please download the “Service & Justice Trips Under 19 Release Form.” You and a parent or guardian must both sign the document and return it before the time of your trip. You can e-mail it to RJ Toledo, or fax it to the SCSJ at 402.280.1259.
- Participants will find out at the first General Meeting where they are going on their trips.
- Our coordinators are of all ages, sophomores through seniors and a few graduate students.
- Before break, each Service & Justice Trips participant is required to complete Creighton’s Children and Vulnerable Adults training and Creighton’s Van Safety Training.
- The formation meetings listed below are mandatory. If you miss more than one of the General Meetings, we will re-evaluate your participation in the program with the likelihood that you will be asked to withdraw from the program and go on a trip in a future semester when you can attend the formation meetings.
Important Dates: 2022 Fall Break Service & Justice Trips
|Application Deadline||Tuesday April 19th||by midnight||Online Application|
|Scholarship Applications Due||Friday August 12th||Online Application, awards rolling as received|
|Participant Interviews||Thursday April 21st||7:30-8:30 pm or 9-10 pm|
|Payment Days||August 22nd and 23rd||11 am - 6 pm||SCSJ|
|General Meeting 1||Thursday September 8th||9-10:45 pm||Skutt Ballroom|
|General Meeting 2||Thursday September 15th||9-10:45 pm||Skutt Ballroom|
|General Meeting 3||Thursday September 29th||9-10:45 pm||Skutt Ballroom|
|Group Bonding||TBA||TBA||find out more from your small group|
|Send Off Service||Thursday October 6th||9-10 pm||Harper 2057-2058|
|Fall Break 2022||Leave Friday October 7th or Saturday October 8th||All groups return Saturday October 15th|
|Reunion||Thursday October 20th||9-10 pm||Skutt Ballroom|