Pre-Professional Medical Scholars
As a Creighton student, you are encouraged to take advantage of The EDGE, our one-of-a-kind program designed to give you the edge as a student and beyond. Traditional academic advising at other universities focuses on keeping students on track so they can check all the boxes for their degrees (major, minor, core). In contrast, at Creighton, you will receive specialized advising through EDGE advisors, who will provide in-depth one-on-one discussions and advising regarding your academic and co-curricular requirements for professional school, as well as guidance through the professional school application process, including shadowing, mentoring and research experiences.
As part of the Creighton Pre-Professional Medical Scholars Program (CCPSP), you will be in good company as you become part of this elite and comprehensive pre-professional program that you won’t find at other universities. CPPSP marries the strength of our undergraduate preparation with the quality of our professional programs on two campuses, giving you a powerful and extensive background. You will receive the unique benefits of the Creighton EDGE and a variety of other advantages, including a guaranteed interview with the Creighton School of Medicine, individualized medical school advising each semester, mentoring with a current medical student, and more.
Every Creighton student who is interested in pre-professional studies can take advantage of these benefits.
- EDGE Pre-Health Learning Communities: series of workshops, events, classes, presentations, and activities designed to help strengthen the candidacy of students as they prepare for the graduate/professional school application process
- Access to pre-medical EDGE advisors for individual advising meetings
- Practice interviews for professional school
- Personal statement advice and assistance
- Guidance on seeking internship, shadowing, and experiential learning opportunities
- Mentoring program with current professional school students
- Mentorship from the Center for Undergraduate Research and Scholarship (CURAS) to seek research opportunities on campus
Pre-Professional Medical Scholar Benefits
Eligible students must apply and be accepted to the Creighton Pre-Professional Scholars Program (CPPSP) to take advantage of these benefits.
- Acceptance into the Creighton Pre-Professional Medical Scholars Program guarantees an interview for you to express appropriate rationale and motivation for the medical profession and additional relevant topics
- Meet with a pre-medical EDGE advisor for required individual advising meetings each semester
- Coffee and Conversation with the School of Medicine Director of Admissions each semester
- A dedicated current medical school student mentor, starting your sophomore year
Consideration Criteria for Pre-Professional Medical Scholars
- Minimum 30 ACT or 1360 SAT
- Minimum high school GPA of 3.8 on a 4.0 scale
- No grade lower than a B in high school math or science courses
- Engage in meaningful volunteer and shadowing experiences to gain exposure to the medical field and leadership experiences in school and community
In order to be considered for CPPSP, your Application for Undergraduate Admission must be submitted by December 1 of your senior year. A separate CPPSP Application is required, with a deadline of January 5 and must include:
- A completed CPPSP application
- An essay explaining interest in the medical field
- Resume outlining your experience and extra-curricular involvements
- A letter of recommendation from a medical professional
- An interview with a member of the selection committee will be scheduled prior to your enrollment
CPPSP Applications will be available in the student portal of eligible students beginning November 1, 2020.
Requirements for the Creighton Pre-Professional Medical Scholars Guaranteed Interview
- Creighton Bachelor’s degree, completing 28 credit hours each academic year for which you are required to receive a letter grade
- Advanced Placement (AP credit) is acceptable for all non-science coursework excluding Statistics.
- Completion of all prerequisite courses. These courses are subject to change, but you will be guided by your EDGE advisor. All prerequisite science courses must be completed at Creighton University prior to medical school matriculation.
- By October 1st of the calendar year prior to intended medical school matriculation, students are required to score a minimum in the 70th percentile in each of the categories of the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) and a minimum of the 75th percentile overall.
- Students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.60 as a Creighton undergraduate student at the time of application and matriculation to the School of Medicine.
- Students must have a minimum of 45 hours in math and science courses at Creighton with a GPA of 3.6 or higher at the time of application and matriculation to the School of Medicine.
- Students are required to complete a minimum of 25 hours of physician shadowing as a Creighton undergraduate.
- Students are required to complete a minimum of 20 hours of non-medical service and leadership annually.
- A completed Creighton Medical School Application must be received by the School of Medicine Admission Office by November 1st of the calendar year prior to intended medical
- Institutional and criminal actions will be subject to review by the School of Medicine Admissions Committee.