Close Menu

Admissions Requirements

Undergraduate students must successfully complete EDU 170 and 211 with a grade of (C) or higher and have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher to be considered for admission to the Department. A cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher is required to be admitted to clinical practice (student teaching). Students are encouraged to contact the Creighton EDGE or their advisor for assistance.

Candidates seeking an initial certificate as of September 1, 2015 will be required to pass the designated Praxis II test. Individuals will have to take and pass the appropriate Praxis II content test for each field and subject endorsement area in order to have the endorsement(s) placed on their certificate.

Download Clinical Practice Handbook - (PDF)

Student Teaching Application

Please submit a completed application to Dr. April Buschelman in the Eppley Building, office 449 by February 1 for Fall student teaching and by October 1 for Spring student teaching.

Download Application Packet

State of Nebraska Certification

Nebraska has several different types of teacher certification available to students that are currently in an education or counseling program and to students that have completed an education or counseling program. Please visit the Nebraska Department of Education Teacher Certification page to see the different forms and applications you will need to complete in order to receive a certificate.

Nebraska requires each certificate holder to pass both the Praxis Core and the Praxis II (if applicable). Visit the Praxis Test Requirements to see the score needed in each subject area for Nebraska.

Non-Nebraska Certification

If you are looking to get certified in a different state, you will need to visit the respective state’s education department website for the application and forms. One of the forms will be an institutional verification form that will need to be filled out by both you (the applicant) and Creighton’s Director of Certification.

There are also different Praxis Requirements for each state. Be sure to check the test requirements for the state you are applying with.

Though not required in Nebraska, there are several states requiring the candidate to complete the EdTPA program and tests. Visit the EdTPA website to see if your state is participating in this program and the requirements of the program and test.


Although Creighton University accepts out-of-state students in its education programs involving licensure or certification, it does not imply, or guarantee recognition, or equivalency, and/or transfer to another state.

Each state is responsible for its own certification/licensure requirements, which may change without notice to NASDTEC or your university's certification officers or your state's office of certification. You must contact the office of certification in any state to which you may be relocating to get the most accurate information on certification requirements. Reciprocity is often (though not always) easier if you completed the certification requirements and obtained your certification in the state where you completed your program requirements. Visit the link below for state specific reciprocity information.

Certification Officer

April Buschelman EdD

Related Links

Nebraska Dept. of Education

Learn more about our Jesuit traditions here.