Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the starting salary of a first-year resident?
$59,965 as of the 2021-2022 year
- What is the vacation policy? Sick leave policy? Educational leave?
Vacation: 20 days per year
Sick leave: 14 days per year
Educational leave: 5 days
- What is the average hours worked per week?
Approximately 60 hours per week (however, varies on rotation and patient census)
- What are the in-house fellowships?
Cardiology, Critical Care, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, Infectious disease, Interventional Cardiology, Pulmonology/Critical care
- What are the required rotations within the 3 years of training?
5 supervisory months (HMS + NF), 3 months NF, 3 months ICU, 3 months cardiology (at least 2 months inpatient), 1 month: ER, endocrinology, geriatrics, GI, Heme/onc, ID, neurology, pulmonary, rheumatology, renal
- What electives are available?
Ambulatory cardiology, cardiology, dermatology, HMS Ruby, ICU white, ILAC, palliative, primary care Dundee, research, women’s health, psychiatry, off-site rotation, Kearney off site rotation
- What committees are open to residents?
Education, Research, Recruitment, Subspecialty interest groups, Wellness, POCUS, Business in Medicine, House Staff Council
- What are the academics?
Protected academic half day every Wednesday from 12 pm – 4 pm
MKSAP – access to text and question bank, weekly quizzes
Access to Creighton University’s Health Sciences Library and resources and Board Vitals
- What is the population of Omaha? Cost of living in Omaha
475,000; approximately $998 for 919 sq ft spacious 1 bed/1 bath
- What activities are there to do throughout Omaha?
College World Series, Henry Doorly Zoo, numerous outdoor trails/hiking/biking paths, free access to Creighton athletic events, downtown entertainment, access to larger cities