- AIDS and HIV
- Hepatitis C: its cause and cure
- Helicobacter pylori and its role in ulcers
- Borrelia burgdorferi as the cause of Lyme disease
- Escherichia coli O157:H7 and bloody diarrhea
- Arrival in the US of West Nile Virus, Ebola, and Zika
- 2009 pandemic influenza
Every item on this list is a development in infectious diseases that has transpired since the founding of Creighton’s infectious diseases division just over 40 years ago—and a reason why infectious diseases is arguably the most dynamic, exciting field in medicine.